Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Hard night sleep, data
Hard night sleep, data
I have noticed a trend the last few nights. Very low AHI, but when i view my flow rate, there are alot of events that are like 9 seconds that my machine does not classify. It would actually make my average closer to 6 if it counted them. Anyways I noticed they always correlate to a big bump in Leak rate. I attached a picture of one event. What could be causing this, it always seems the leak starts right before the event. and stops right after. COuld it be me moving, or the mask leak causing the event?
[attachment=13947]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hard night sleep, data
Congratulations! Your numbers are good.

I am the least experienced member here, though I've used cpap for over 30 years.

My experience has been that leakage comes from two sources. Me and my mask. Me: I sometimes mouth breath. So I compensate by using a wedge under my chin that's intended to reduce snoring.
Others will look at your report and respond. They will know better than I do.

For me, the mask source comes from changes, and mask age. I recently had mask leak issues. My mask was about 6 months old. My DME said keep using the mask style and size you have. And they sold me an identical mask. They were wrong. I used the fit gauge and learned I needed a medium not a large ResMed N20 Mask. Attention to details.....
The other thing I noticed was that my head gear had changed size--my old head gear had stretched. I'd regularly tightened the head gear on my old mask when I noticed leakage.
I use a ResMed N20; when I bought my N20 I watched a lot of reviews on youtube. It's proven to be a good choice for me.
Sleepyhead and OSCAR are amazing tools. I feel that I have finally been able to take control of my OSA treatment. This allows me to respond quickly when I have a bad night.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
The machine doesn't flag events under 10 seconds. A leak rate of 3.6 is not enough to effect the ability of your machine to record or treat events. It may be you sense the event and hold your breath momentarily. Also we often hold our breath momentarily when we change position and a change in position may cause a small leak like you are seeing. For Resmed a large leak is 24L/min or more. Your leak rate is not close to that.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2019, 08:13 AM)DaveL Wrote: Congratulations! Your numbers are good.

I am the least experienced member here, though I've used cpap for over 30 years.

My experience has been that leakage comes from two sources.  Me and my mask.  Me: I sometimes mouth breath. So I compensate by using a wedge under my chin that's intended to reduce snoring.
Others will look at your report and respond. They will know better than I do.

For me, the mask source comes from changes, and mask age.  I recently had mask leak issues.  My mask was about 6 months old. My DME said keep using the mask style and size you have. And they sold me an identical mask. They were wrong. I used the fit gauge and learned I needed a medium not a large ResMed N20 Mask. Attention to details.....
The other thing I noticed was that my head gear had changed size--my old head gear had stretched. I'd regularly tightened the head gear on my old mask when I noticed leakage.
I use a ResMed N20; when I bought my N20 I watched a lot of reviews on youtube. It's proven to be a good choice for me.
Sleepyhead and OSCAR are amazing tools. I feel that I have finally been able to take control of my OSA treatment. This allows me to respond quickly when I have a bad night.

Yeah, I have 3 masks I’ve acquired that I will try. I figured I want to try a mask for a week,  check data, move on to next one, until I find best results

(07-30-2019, 08:16 AM)Melman Wrote: The machine doesn't flag events under 10 seconds. A leak rate of 3.6 is not enough to effect the ability of your machine to record or treat events. It may be you sense the event and hold your breath momentarily. Also we often hold our breath momentarily when we change position and a change in position may cause a small leak like you are seeing. For Resmed a large leak is 24L/min or more. Your leak rate is not close to that.
I really wish we could set parameters to flag, since so many of my events are 9 seconds. But what you said does seem to make sense. If I toss and turn my mask may leak, and I may not be breathing when turning. They always seem to coincide together, and when I wake up in the morning, it looks like a tornado blew around my sheets. So I definitely am a tosser and turner
Post Reply Post Reply
mikevyo Wrote:I really wish we could set parameters to flag, since so many of my events are 9 seconds.

Mike, I answered this in your other thread, as follows:

Events less than 10 seconds are not considered to be events so the machine doesn't flag them They have to draw a line somewhere and 10 seconds is a reasonable number.

SleepyHead and Oscar have a facility to flag events of greater or lesser duration. Go to File | Preferences | CPAP and turn on Custom cpap user event flagging. You can then set the machine to flag events of eg 5 and 9 seconds. It takes a few minutes to recalculate - longer if you have many years of data. There's no indication that anything is happening so you might think SleepyHead has crashed - just be patient.

It's best to keep your discussion together in a single thread for continuity and so we can more easily see your history in order to give better advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2019, 08:34 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
mikevyo Wrote:I really wish we could set parameters to flag, since so many of my events are 9 seconds.

Mike, I answered this in your other thread, as follows:

Events less than 10 seconds are not considered to be events so the machine doesn't flag them They have to draw a line somewhere and 10 seconds is a reasonable number.

SleepyHead and Oscar have a facility to flag events of greater or lesser duration. Go to File | Preferences | CPAP and turn on Custom cpap user event flagging. You can then set the machine to flag events of eg 5 and 9 seconds. It takes a few minutes to recalculate - longer if you have many years of data. There's no indication that anything is happening so you might think SleepyHead has crashed - just be patient.

It's best to keep your discussion together in a single thread for continuity and so we can more easily see your history in order to give better advice.
I did see the reply. Thank you. I changed the settings to show events 7 seconds or longer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 143 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,217 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Surprised 20 minutes recorded for full night's sleep Deborah K. 10 596 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.