Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New Aircurve ASV user [with treatment problems]
New Aircurve ASV user [with treatment problems]
I have been diagnosed with severe Central Sleep Apnea with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and whatever the third type is called.  So my doctor ordered an Aircurve 10 ASV. I am not sure of my pressures but the lady assisting me with the machine said that my pressures really weren't that high.   I have been using the machine for 3 months now and don't see any improvement in my daytime fatigue and sleepiness and now I am waking up with feeling tired with no energy and are having headaches and shortness of breath!  Falling asleep has become difficult, waking up several times at night where before I never knew I would wake up or was having apnea events and I would fall asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow and I would wake up before my alarm and jump out of bed with loads of energy my problem was I would run out of energy about noon everyday and could take a long nap and feel fatigued and sleepy the rest of the day.

I have had three different masks because of leakage problems.  Am currently using Resmed Airfit N20 for her with chin strap because I am a mouth breather which so far is working better than the other two masks.  I have tried full face masks but they leak (even tried gluing them to my face and using double sided tape to keep them from leaking NO LUCK)and are not recommended to use with the Aircurve 10 ASV. I am ready to give up on the machine and just take my chances with the sleep apnea.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Aircurve ASV user [with treatment problems]
Hi auntiemame - Welcome

You can always give-up, so why not wait a little while longer?  I highly recommend that you download OSCAR (this is a download link). This will allow for analysis of your sleep data, so the reason for your problems may be found.

Where did you get the information that FFM's are not recommended to use with the Aircurve 10 ASV?  That is just NOT true.

Looking forward to seeing your data.  Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Download and install OSCAR on your computer https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

This will allow us to see in detail what is going on with your settings and therapy.  We have many members here using ASV and I'm sure we can help you to get better results and feel better too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found a compatibility list for CPAP and ASV machines and full face masks are not on the list for ASV machines.  And I understand why because everytime the higher pressure hits it causes pop offs and leaks.  But it just may be my face is not made for a full face mask because during my 2 sleep studies I went through every mask that the sleep center had and none of them would stay on and not leak.  tried different sizes, styles and this happened with the CPAP and the ASV.  And the last mask bruised my nose and I looked like I had been in a fight for a week after that mask so no way was I going to use that style of mask.  And I have honestly tried to use the masks I would fight to keep them on for 6 to 8 hours every night.  Like I said I used glue (eyelash glue) and double sided tape (for body) to try to keep the masks from popping off or leaking.  And my DME provider is no help they just keep telling me to pick a mask I think will work!  So the last mask I bought from my sleep center (they are not on my insurance as DME providers) because I could lay down and try it out with my machine.  But I am still getting on average about 8L/Min leaks with the new mask which is good.  

I have read some threads and articles about people using full face masks along with chin straps and neck braces, do understand the theory behind the neck brace just not sure about the comfort.  

Sorry I am having trouble getting my computer to accept the OSCAR software download.  I'll have to work that.

Thanks for the help.

Mamie
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, gosh, don't give up! At least get the OSCAR software so you can begin to troubleshoot the problems. I am on the same machine as you, with the same diagnosis. It takes some fiddling to get the right settings, right mask, etc. but your quality of life depends on it.  Before I got the OSCAR software, I had no idea what was happening at night. I woke up every morning with a headache. I thought is was coffee related as a cup of coffee usually helped, but low and behold, the morning headaches went away with proper apnea treatment. You can feel better and the experienced folks on the board really can help. Hang in there!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I have gotten OSCAR downloaded and have my data imported into it. Now what do I do with it?

Mamie
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the support.  I really feel like I'm on my own here.  Because my doctor only has 5 patients (wish he would give me their names so we could support each other) with CSA and the DME provider doesn't seem to know what to do. So I'm trying to figure this thing out!  Reading everything I can find about the machines, masks and the therapy offered.  Before I was diagnosed my only symptom was daytime sleepiness and fatigue for about 3 months.  Since I started the ASV I have headaches plus the sleepiness and fatigue!
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you have OSCAR installed and your data imported, look at the links in my signature line below.
Organize your charts according to the instructions and use the attachment feature to post a screenshot of the daily page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Three months in and several masks later .... yes?

Like you, I am a mouth breather. Allergies, deviated septum, whatever the cause the nasal masks dried out the tissue in my nose until it cracked and bled. So good, you already know not to do that. You are listening to your body. After ruling out the nasal masks, you probably would be pushed to a full face mask. My experience was the same as yours ... could not get them to seal, not due to improper technique, but because none of them fit my facial contours well enough, even the so called adjustable ones. When I got sores and bleeding at the bridge of my nose, I gave up. So I'm feeling your pain! Now there are at least three full face masks that fit UNDER the nose. I have had the best luck with this type of mask. I am using the Amara View at the moment. You might find previous posts by me trying to trouble shoot the leaking. I have still never gotten to a zero leak level, but at least my mask fit feature gives me a happy face now, and with the AirCurve 10 ASV my doctor is not worried about it because they are mostly under 40 L/min and the treatment is effective even with the leaks. Why? Best machine ever ... it has Vsync. When it sees a change in leak, it boosts the pressure to compensate and it does it VERY QUICKLY. Study the graph below and you will see how the flow changes when the Vsync kicks in. Then you can look at your own graphs and be assured that it is working well for you too. Of course massive leaks in the 60+ range have to be reigned in. I found the suggestions here too use a cervical collar to prevent jaw drop and chin tucking has worked very well. I don't tolerate the air blowing up my nose with this setup. I have a cotton oval covering the mask nose hole, just under my nose, which contributes minimally to leak.

I should mention there are a couple of other alternatives for mouth breathers .. the Oracle mask that just goes into/over the mouth. It has a piece that fits in the mouth in front of teeth, behind lips, that snaps into another piece that fits against your face. I used it for a couple of years before the under-the-nose full face masks came out. Oddly, never had a leak out my nose with it. Never used nose plugs either. Not hard to get used to, but I did make some cushions out of tshirt material to interface between the outer "grip" and my face. No leaks. The Amara View is more comfortable though.

I also used an InnoMed Hybrid mask for a few years. It had nose prongs, but I just filled them with silicone (like swimmers use for ear plugs). Pretty good fit without much leak. Nothing blasting up my nose. But again, the Amara View is more comfortable.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the Oscar Report for July 23, 2019.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mamie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 60 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 314 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 581 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,517 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.