Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
I was tired of being tired and did the sleep study showing zero phase 3 & 4 sleep with  ASI of 33.  Titration followed with recommendation of 7 cm water pressure and I’m hoping to get my new RedMed AirSence 10 Autoset tomorrow or Friday.  I just bought a CPAP Max 2.0 pillow.

I did try a DreamStation 2 years ago with various masks but had trouble with leaks, mask coming off, and dry mouth and gave it up - actually Medicare wanted it back for too little use.

I am considering a heated hose assuming it will help with dry mouth.  Is this an accurate statement?

I am considering getting a Dreamwear nasal which worked well during the titration.

Anyadvance suggestions on my choices or advice on initial set up so I can start right and get the sleep I desperately need.

I am a fit 74, teach part time, play golf, walk, go to gym (when not too tired).  I do need ambian to sleep but hoping CPAP will help me feel better and eventually get away from sleep aids.

Any up front suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user (almost)
I'm pretty new to this myself but will offer a few thoughts. A heated humidifier would be beneficial for the dry mouth (your ResMed AutoSense 10 will come with one); a heated hose can then help with not getting condensation in the hose and/or mask. If you had a dry mouth with nasal pillows are you leaking air out though your mouth, I've had this and it can cause major dry mouth, even with a humidifier.

I'm sure more experienced members will be along to offer advice shortly.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you set up your pressures I would set the minimum at 6cm and a max pressure of 10cm. That should keep the pressures from swinging up and down too much. Also I would skip using the ramp feature because your already starting at a low pressure. That's a good place to start. After a few days check your data with sleepyhead and make small adjustments if needed. You can also post your charts here for advice.

Good Luck and Welcome!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks good advice.  That brings up questions about Sleephead software.  I assume I download the software to a computer (free or a fee?) but where is the data - SD from the Air Sense 10?  Any instructions somewhere for getting data and anaylizing it somewhere?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead is a free software, just download and install.

ResMed does not include an SD card, you will need one to read your data, it inserts on the left side of the machine under the little door near the top. An older/smaller SD card is needed as i believe the machine will not recognize anything over 32GB.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CZOscar,
WELCOME! to the forum.! Better luck with CPAP therapy this time around.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Threre's a slot on the upper left side of the machine behind a rubber cover. A SD card slides in there and records your data overnight.
The SD cards use to come with the machines but lately people have been having to buy them. You can pick them up in K-marts, Walmarts and staples to name a few. Sleepy head is free and if you go to the link below you can download to your computer.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found this forum quite by accident a few days ago and it steered me towards the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  My prescription was originally for the fixed.

I’ve belonged to numerous boards/forums on photography, diving, etc., etc., but none has ever been as helpful or open or friendly as this one.

I knew nothing about OBstructive or Central apnea or anything really.  I’m guessing a poor DME and my lack of knowledge led to failure two years ago.

With my wanting to learn, studying, and this great helpful friend,y group - I will start tomorrow or day after on the right foot.

I’m so glad I found you - thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
There is a ton of info in the links in my signature.  If you haven't read them please do.  

Take advantage of picking up your machine to also try on masks, try Pillows, Nasal, and Full Face masks.  Masks MUST be tried on under pressure.
At your pick up ask to try the masks under pressure.    What works for me may or may not work for you.

Oh and read the Mask Primer.  A lot of info in there, from mast trial and fitting strategy to leak management.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
Just got a call from my DME and appointment is set for first thing Monday.  Had to wait for insurance to approve the CPAP.  Disappointed it wasn’t today but it is what it is.

I have read all of the related threads and links - thank you.  I have Sleeephead software loaded and going to my appointment educated.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 287 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,591 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 407 04-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 211 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 198 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 282 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 173 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.