Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
RE: New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
I know a little about sleep aids from my own personal experience.
Of course, many of us got started with sleep aids as a result of having early sleep apnea and being undiagnosed.
I needed continued use because of being disrupted by using a CPAP machine. Using any sleep aid often relaxes the tongue more which worsens sleep apnea creating an awful cycle; so, our goal should be to eliminate their use eventually if we can.

I've reduced my pill to 1/4 dosage in the middle of the night and sometimes go without any in an odd night. Doing so has also improved my AHI results and allowed me to lower my pressure, which allows me of course to have a less disrupted sleep. For example, I used to have a max pressure of 12 and now I get better results with 10. I attribute that result to reducing my sleep aid use dramatically.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user (almost) [equipment questions]
(10-06-2017, 02:07 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I know a little about sleep aids from my own personal experience.
Of course, many of us got started with sleep aids as a result of having early sleep apnea and being undiagnosed.
I needed continued use because of being disrupted by using a CPAP machine.  Using any sleep aid often relaxes the tongue more which worsens sleep apnea creating an awful cycle; so, our goal should be to eliminate their use eventually if we can.

I've reduced my pill to 1/4 dosage in the middle of the night and sometimes go without any in an odd night.  Doing so has also improved my AHI results and allowed me to lower my pressure, which allows me of course to have a less disrupted sleep. For example, I used to have a max pressure of 12 and now I get better results with 10.  I attribute that result to reducing my sleep aid use dramatically.

This is next area I need to work on.  Taking 10mg Ambian many nights for insomnia.  Trying to quit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 20 371 9 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,473 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,036 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.