Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New DME, New Machine - Respironics 640 ??
RE: New DME, New Machine - Respironics 640 ??
(07-08-2014, 08:28 PM)MAPnea Wrote: "said it better" than I ever could and deserve to be quoted or paraphrased in my email) and now you've given me exactly what I was looking for: The Phillips-Respironics models that are equivalent to the ResMed S9 Autoset.

I'm persnickety with people to get them to use the right terminology, so that they don't get taken advantage of Smile

if you say I want a S9 AUTOSET, then there's very little chance for confusion... saying "a S9" or "a s9 auto" leaves it wide open Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 07:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It's the PR System One Model 560 or 561 that's equivalent to the ResMed S9 Autoset, and to be completely equivalent it should have the option for the heated hose.
My bad. Thanks for catching this faux pas on my part. I've edited my post so that I refer to the correct numbers.

Sometimes the eyes don't see what you've actually typed; they just see what you think you typed.

Again, thanks for pointing out my error!

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 07:46 PM)MAPnea Wrote: So, I called the DME back to find out EXACTLY what they "had in stock" that they planned to bring out to me when my mask arrived and she said, a "Rem Star Pro #DS46OHS" which isn't capable of APAP. So, I think I "P*ssed her off" when I said I thought my doctor wanted a CPAP with APAP and DME lady said, "Well, I'll just return this one when it comes and wait for your doctor's new prescription". "And", she continues, "if you weren't tritrated on an AUTO PAP, then Medicare won't pay for it." Does anyone know if that's so?

I don't know but I don't think so. I can guess where she might be confused. What she's saying is true for a BiPAP. It requires a different prescription and the reimbursement code is different.

Also, the "HS" at the end means it doesn't come with the heated hose option. What you want is the DS560TS. The "5" instead of the "4" means it's a Auto CPAP instead of a CPAP. The "TS" at the end means it has the option for connecting a heated hose.

Quote:It's exhausting work being assertive and advocating for one's own self and treatment. I couldn't do it without all of you helping me.

That's half the reason for SuperSleeper's little party we call Apnea Board. The other half is after you get the machine and are trying to adapt. It's great that you've already cleared that hurdle.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to start to think more about MAPnea living with the wrong machine for the next 5 years and less about the poor lady at the DME who is trying to rip YOU OFF!
Weather she is ignorant, incompetent or simply a skilled scam artist is irrelevant. She is representing the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster,
I'm learning so much. Taking notes. I do need the heated hose, especially in winter around here! The new DME is trying to cut corners right and left. Just what the doctor prescribed and nothing more. Period. Bare bones.

And now it's off to sleep with the new prescription in my old, soon-to-be-gone ResMed S9 AutoSet (unless I decide to simply buy it and use it as a "spare"…if I can convince my old DME to take a few hundred dollars for it instead of just putting in on their counter and walking away): CPAP mode, pressure "9", EPR "2" (which I've always used) and a ramp time of 15 minutes.

Got the email written and sent to the doctor's assistant. I think I may get a new prescription for a new ResMed S9 Autoset. Or at least a heated hose! That's the plan.

Here's to happy dreams for everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 11:39 PM)bwexler Wrote: You need to start to think more about MAPnea living with the wrong machine for the next 5 years and less about the poor lady at the DME who is trying to rip YOU OFF!

Good point, bwexler! Think more about ME with the wrong machine for the next five years. I'm going to repeat that to myself many times in the next week or so. Gives me courage. Thanks, MAP
Post Reply Post Reply
GOOD MORNING!! Opened my email this morning and the doctor's assistant had already replied with "I'll FAX a prescription for a ResMed S9 Autoset to Lincare this morning." YEAH YEAH YEAH !!!! My new doctor and her assistant are really listening, backing me up … and I feel like I'm one very important "member" of my team.

I'm just thrilled and could not have done this by myself. I feel like you guys are not only members of my team, too, you are the COACHES.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 07:46 PM)MAPnea Wrote: So, I called the DME back to find out EXACTLY what they "had in stock" that they planned to bring out to me when my mask arrived and she said, a "Rem Star Pro #DS46OHS" which isn't capable of APAP.

That's the model 460. This is the same company, and maybe the same person, who originally told you it was going to be 640.

This company is at least conscientious enough to be supplying data-capable machines.

Be prepared for further resistance as they've already told you that Medicare won't cover the S9 Autoset.

The fact is it's the same reimbursement code for both machines and the reimbursement amount they receive is the same. The only difference is that the Autoset costs them more and therefore reduces their revenue.

Again, if they want to give you a Philips Respironics machine, the closest is the DS56OTS. The "5" means it's auto and the "T" means it has the heated hose option.

Whether you get the S9 Autoset or the DS560TS, if you want the heated hose you'll probably have to ask for that as well.

If they tell you they can't give you want you want tell them you'll have to shop around for a DME who will. YOU are the customer, they are a service PROVIDER.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster! Doctor's assistant called their local Lincare person (near the University) and have it all approved for a ResMed S9 Autoset (just like the old one I'm going to give back to the old DME). Doctor's assistant FAXed Rx to my "local" Lincare office and "major Lincare office" near University will call young Local Lincare Lady to tell her she's getting that machine AND that Medicare will pay for it.

SO, I'm hoping by the end of next week I'll start a new thread: NEW ResMed S9 Autoset ARRIVED …. and a month from now Medicare will approve this ResMed S9 Autoset. I'm keeping all of my old heated hoses (Doctor also ordered humidifier… have to have one out here on the desert!), but probably tossing away all my old masks. They are so old they seem to leak a lot.

I am so glad for all the help I've gotten here and so glad I have a new doctor (and her assistant) who seriously ARE listening to me. I feel like we're "working together", which is how it should be.

Plus… it rained for a second day here on the high desert. Everything smells so good.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were you I'd write a check to that DME before I'd return that old Autoset. If you ever need it as a back up unit it'll be worth a lot more to you than what it is to them.

How much is it worth to that DME? It's not like returning it will in any way defray their cost. They've already eaten that cost and if you return it to them it may just sit on a shelf somewhere. What can they do with it? They may not even be allowed to distribute used machines to patients. They may have to donate it for a tax write off.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,410 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,858 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 272 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 862 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 875 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,753 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,405 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.