Mask Make & Model: None
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
New Diagnosis - Please help a newbie
Hi everyone!

I recently been diagnosed with severe OSA after having a sleep study (AHI was in the 100s). I live in the U.S. and do not have any insurance. I have my prescription finally and need to get a machine and supplies.

I have a few friends that have been milked with some of the local DMEs and based on phone calls I know I can get cheaper prices on-line.

My main question is what the heck my prescription means and what machine should I get.

It says "BIPAP-S in the auto mode with nasal mask, supplies and heated humidifier prn. Length of need 99 months."

What does the -S mean?

Any help would be wonderful
05-28-2015 06:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

RE: New Diagnosis - Please help a newbie
S stands for spontaneous, and the BiPAP machine allows a moderate to large difference between inhale pressure support (IPAP) and exhale pressure support (EPAP). The machine responds to your breathing patterns by raising or lowering either IPAP or EPAP (or both) to address apnea and other breathing variations. The BiPAP-S provides wider range of pressure variability than an Auto CPAP machine.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
05-28-2015 07:51 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Nnej,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
05-28-2015 07:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

Sex: Female

Does your paper give you a bunch of numbers and letters for the settings too? we can help you understand those as well.
05-28-2015 08:03 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(05-28-2015 06:53 PM)Nnej Wrote:  My main question is what the heck my prescription means and what machine should I get.

Check our Supplier List:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List

Contact one of them and they will ask for a copy of your prescription. Send it to them and they will then tell you what you need.

Once you get that information you can shop around for the best price.

Be aware that once you start with one machine it may be necessary for you to switch to a different machine, so keep that in mind when shopping for an equipment provider. If you call local providers, explain that you're looking for the best deal, and are educated about your needs, then they will be less likely to rip you off. They know that you are shopping around for the best deal and that you don't have insurance.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-28-2015 08:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Nnej Offline

New Members

Machine: None yet
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model: None
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None

Other Comments:

(05-28-2015 07:51 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:  S stands for spontaneous, and the BiPAP machine allows a moderate to large difference between inhale pressure support (IPAP) and exhale pressure support (EPAP). The machine responds to your breathing patterns by raising or lowering either IPAP or EPAP (or both) to address apnea and other breathing variations. The BiPAP-S provides wider range of pressure variability than an Auto CPAP machine.

QAL

So does that translate to basically an Auto BiLevel Machine? The -S was confusing me from what I have seen available on-line. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is one better than the other?

I certainly want a data capable machine. I am an engineer type, so I get crazy with tracking and understanding what stuff means. I want to a medical text to read about this stuff.

From my sleep doc, based on the sleep study, CPAP was ineffective, hence the move to BiPap.

As for numbers - from my titration,

EPAP 7.5 cmH20
IPAP 11.0 cmH20
PS 3.5 cmH20
During titration AHI down to 1.6
05-29-2015 06:21 AM
2PAPs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One 750p
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Ultra Mirage
Humidifier: PR System ONe
CPAP Pressure: 8-20

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Make sure that you keep the original of the Rx and just mail or fax your DME a copy. That Rx is good for life. If you deal with different DMEs, you will need to supply them with an Rx.
05-29-2015 07:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(05-29-2015 06:21 AM)Nnej Wrote:  So does that translate to basically an Auto BiLevel Machine? The -S was confusing me from what I have seen available on-line. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is one better than the other?

The -S designation means you have two fixed pressures that don't vary. In your case those are 11.0 cm H2O when you inhale, 7.5 cm H2O when you exhale. The difference between these two numbers is the pressure support (PS) which in your case is 3.5 cm H2O.

An auto bi-level machine, like mine, will allow you to set a range of pressures. Mine starts at 10 when I inhale, and goes as high as 13.6 when needed. The PS is fixed at 4.6.

Quote:I certainly want a data capable machine.

It will be. Read this article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Quote:From my sleep doc, based on the sleep study, CPAP was ineffective, hence the move to BiPap.

Usually that means that you had trouble exhaling with the mask on.

Quote:During titration AHI down to 1.6

That's excellent! Did you sleep well with the mask attached?

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-29-2015 09:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  advice for diagnosis steps to take odoyle 12 452 Yesterday 11:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 266 11-28-2016 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
Question [Diagnosis] ISO Second Diagnosis Advice headpeace 5 298 10-10-2016 03:19 PM
Last Post: headpeace
  [Diagnosis] Could Sleeping Pill During Test Cause False Apnea Diagnosis Violetskyye 20 1,025 09-23-2016 03:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  newbie yossarian 14 731 09-01-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  Strange Diagnosis and shady process? Caseous 14 676 08-23-2016 02:42 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  From a Newbie to a newbie PappinLikeABoss 11 1,050 08-22-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: chill