Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New Diagnosis - Please help a newbie
New Diagnosis - Please help a newbie
Hi everyone!

I recently been diagnosed with severe OSA after having a sleep study (AHI was in the 100s). I live in the U.S. and do not have any insurance. I have my prescription finally and need to get a machine and supplies.

I have a few friends that have been milked with some of the local DMEs and based on phone calls I know I can get cheaper prices on-line.

My main question is what the heck my prescription means and what machine should I get.

It says "BIPAP-S in the auto mode with nasal mask, supplies and heated humidifier prn. Length of need 99 months."

What does the -S mean?

Any help would be wonderful
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Diagnosis - Please help a newbie
S stands for spontaneous, and the BiPAP machine allows a moderate to large difference between inhale pressure support (IPAP) and exhale pressure support (EPAP). The machine responds to your breathing patterns by raising or lowering either IPAP or EPAP (or both) to address apnea and other breathing variations. The BiPAP-S provides wider range of pressure variability than an Auto CPAP machine.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nnej,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your paper give you a bunch of numbers and letters for the settings too? we can help you understand those as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2015, 06:53 PM)Nnej Wrote: My main question is what the heck my prescription means and what machine should I get.

Check our Supplier List:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Contact one of them and they will ask for a copy of your prescription. Send it to them and they will then tell you what you need.

Once you get that information you can shop around for the best price.

Be aware that once you start with one machine it may be necessary for you to switch to a different machine, so keep that in mind when shopping for an equipment provider. If you call local providers, explain that you're looking for the best deal, and are educated about your needs, then they will be less likely to rip you off. They know that you are shopping around for the best deal and that you don't have insurance.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2015, 07:51 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: S stands for spontaneous, and the BiPAP machine allows a moderate to large difference between inhale pressure support (IPAP) and exhale pressure support (EPAP). The machine responds to your breathing patterns by raising or lowering either IPAP or EPAP (or both) to address apnea and other breathing variations. The BiPAP-S provides wider range of pressure variability than an Auto CPAP machine.

QAL

So does that translate to basically an Auto BiLevel Machine? The -S was confusing me from what I have seen available on-line. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is one better than the other?

I certainly want a data capable machine. I am an engineer type, so I get crazy with tracking and understanding what stuff means. I want to a medical text to read about this stuff.

From my sleep doc, based on the sleep study, CPAP was ineffective, hence the move to BiPap.

As for numbers - from my titration,

EPAP 7.5 cmH20
IPAP 11.0 cmH20
PS 3.5 cmH20
During titration AHI down to 1.6
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure that you keep the original of the Rx and just mail or fax your DME a copy. That Rx is good for life. If you deal with different DMEs, you will need to supply them with an Rx.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2015, 06:21 AM)Nnej Wrote: So does that translate to basically an Auto BiLevel Machine? The -S was confusing me from what I have seen available on-line. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is one better than the other?

The -S designation means you have two fixed pressures that don't vary. In your case those are 11.0 cm H2O when you inhale, 7.5 cm H2O when you exhale. The difference between these two numbers is the pressure support (PS) which in your case is 3.5 cm H2O.

An auto bi-level machine, like mine, will allow you to set a range of pressures. Mine starts at 10 when I inhale, and goes as high as 13.6 when needed. The PS is fixed at 4.6.

Quote:I certainly want a data capable machine.

It will be. Read this article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Quote:From my sleep doc, based on the sleep study, CPAP was ineffective, hence the move to BiPap.

Usually that means that you had trouble exhaling with the mask on.

Quote:During titration AHI down to 1.6

That's excellent! Did you sleep well with the mask attached?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 182 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 719 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.