Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New Mask - Horrible Night!
New Mask - Horrible Night!
Hi,
I've been on CPAP Therapy for three months and using a full face mask with great success. I decided to get a PR Nuance Pro as an alternative. I believe the pillow size and strap tensions are correct. At bedtime, I made sure the tension was just snug enough to provide pillow contact with my nostrils and then went "lights out". The contact pressure on my right nostril was painful! I tried using a water-based lubricant, which provided some relief, but just made the pillows more likely to slide out of position. Tightening the straps to correct this only lead to more pressure on my nostrils while allowing the pillows to slide out of position.

The pressure and slippage issues became so intense last light that I ripped the make off and went back to my full face mask after five hours of struggling.

My machine is in APAP mode, with pressures typically 6-7 cm H2O.

Has anyone on this forum had a "first night" experience like this? If so, what did you do to correct this? If this is just "normal", does the pain//irritation just go away after a while?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Mask - Horrible Night!
Hi WSHenry,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try some HPA lanolin cream, it's a bit thicker and will not allow your pillows to slide out of place. You can find that at most stores in the baby isle, it is for nursing mothers but lanolin can be use by anyone and it won't break down your pillows because it doesn't have patrolium in it.
You just take a cotton swav and put a "VERY LITTLE" on it and swav it into your nostriles.
I hope this helps you.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Read this to help with fitting the mask properly.

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/swift-f...ing-guide/
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 11:33 AM)WSHenry Wrote: Hi,
I've been on CPAP Therapy for three months and using a full face mask with great success. I decided to get a PR Nuance Pro as an alternative. I believe the pillow size and strap tensions are correct. At bedtime, I made sure the tension was just snug enough to provide pillow contact with my nostrils and then went "lights out". The contact pressure on my right nostril was painful! I tried using a water-based lubricant, which provided some relief, but just made the pillows more likely to slide out of position. Tightening the straps to correct this only lead to more pressure on my nostrils while allowing the pillows to slide out of position.

The pressure and slippage issues became so intense last light that I ripped the make off and went back to my full face mask after five hours of struggling.

Has anyone on this forum had a "first night" experience like this? If so, what did you do to correct this? If this is just "normal", does the pain//irritation just go away after a while?

This Google search led to numerous hits:

youtube PR Nuance Pro mask fitting

...the first one (for me) was:

Philips Respironics Nuance and Nuance Pro Mask Fitting ... - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kio9YMGYyyA 6min15sec

I had a pretty ineffective experience (2 actually) with a different 2nd mask, gave it a couple of hours each time and went back to my working mask.

If it had been my only mask I would have just found a way to make it work.

Third try, I got that torture device mask to "work" -- well enough it could work in an emergency (nose stopped up, it's an Oracle Oral Mask.)

Good luck. Hang in there. Get 'er done!
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 11:33 AM)WSHenry Wrote: Hi,

Yes and I switched to a nasal gel mask. The pillows drove me crazy.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just had my third night with a cpap

I have a Mirage™ FX Nasal-Standard I don't even know i have it on

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I've *never* had a good first night with a mask that I can recall. Definitely play with the tightness a little, and some lanolin on the nostrils can really help with soreness and leakage on the pillows. Other than that, give it some time!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh and, this is just my personal experience, but I didn't care for the Nuance Pro at all. I much preferred the Resmed Swift FX or Airfit P10. The gel inserts on the Nuance Pro mainly seemed to make it fit worse than the other pillows I've tried.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a few random thoughts? I've been on CPAP well over a dozen years now. I HATE trying new masks period~! It's a crap shoot, a roll of the dice, there is no way to know in advance of actual use whether or not you will like a mask, or hate it.

I've had some that I learned in 10 minutes that they would not work, and a few that lasted multiple hopeful days before I determined they would not work.

If you have insurance, I highly suggest getting a new mask as often as is allowed! When you find a mask that really works OK for you, buy spares of it. Buy spare parts for it too - as the company that makes it will surely (in time) change the mask to make it better which will then ruin it for you.

This is an issue that is never ending. I can find 10 hoseheads that think like me, that use the same mask as I do, that all love new mask XYZ, and yet I will hate it.

I am many others, love the "Wisp' nasal mask - you may well hate it. I finally found a FFM that I can wear nightly, every night, but that doesn't mean anything for you as it could be your worst nightmare.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that my nose will not allow anything anywhere near it. The nasal mask cushions crowd my nostrils, convincing me that they are about to block my access to air and heaven forbid I would try pillows. So...I use the F&P Simplus full face mask which allows my nose plenty of personal space. Just sayin...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 242 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 320 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Low AHI, horrible sleep, OSCAR data apneaHero 20 2,230 10-03-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: clan
  4 months in, horrible OA after changing from nasal N20 to full face F20- PLEASE HELP aquamike 7 870 09-20-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.