Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New Script for APAP. Advice Welcome
New Script for APAP. Advice Welcome
Hi, my name is Steve. Long time sleep apnea, first time poster....Grin

Was diagnosed with "Mild" sleep apnea 6 years ago when I was suffering from a major viral infection (undiagnosed at the time) and on antidepressants as well as ADD medication. Quite the mix!

I'm a young 50 something, avg body weight and in very good health (so says my GP). So, after finally getting off all of these prescription psychotropic drugs a couple yrs ago and being of clear mind and body, i decided to go back and see how bad my sleep apnea is/was.

After a recent Sleep Study at a respected Sleep Center in St. Louis, it would seem like it's still bad enough that they are recommending an APAP machine.

According to the nurse who called me with the results, I have severe sleep apnea. Asked for, but have not received as of yet the full study results, so no specific details to share there.

Based on the results, they are recommending an APAP instead of the CPAP that I've been (sorta) using for the past so many years. Way too many Central Apneas that i can't try and blame on any prescribed drugs as a possible reason, so they think an APAP would better serve my needs and if no improvement, maybe an ASV down the road. but i digress a bit....

I'm in the tech industry and as savvy as I think I am when it comes to stuff like this.... I absolutely dread going to the DME and being put through the whole dog and pony show.

This is where you good people come in. Who can lay some knowledge on me so I don't feel like a complete idiot when I go in to see them?

I've got good health coverage and have the means to cover my 20% co-insurance on DME no problem. I just don't want to get "Bamboozled" (as one admin called it).

Nurse said they were suggesting the Dreamstation. I hear good things about it, but what else do I need to know?

Thanks much and cheers to a new year and many more nights of quality sleep in 2017!!

~Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Script for APAP. Advice Welcome
You will get many responses
start with this post
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

Most important is to have a fully data capable machine.

Given that you will be to see in detail what your machine sees, and with the help of people on this forum, analyse that data and choose and take action.

I recently got a new machine and the DME said that was NOT possible, little did he know.

For the most part Sleepyhead software is what we use to read and share the data. See my sig for how to.

Fred

Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I would go with a PR560 auto aflex with heated hose
That is the model the dream station replaced but there are still alot of new units out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, consider that you can jump on Amazon and pick up a brand new Respironics Dreamstation Auto DX500T11 for close to your 20% copay, it might be worth just cutting out the DME, and using them for supplies. Otherwise, just be prepared to know exactly what you want, and work with your doctor and the supplier to get it. The fact your prescription will apparently specify auto-CPAP is a big head start. The two big players in that category are the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, and the Philips Respironics Dreamstaton Auto. I would not accept any of the secondary manufacturers and especially the discount line of Resmed called Airstart, which is a brick.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi spholl01,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy with a new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
And don't let them give you a RESmart which sounds a little like Resmed but is made in China junk (IMO).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 298 7 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 175 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.