Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New and trying to find the right machine
New and trying to find the right machine
Hi,

I'm new to the board, and new to getting help for my sleep apnea.

I've done two sleep studies, definitely have OSA and the doctor sent me to a DME. The DME would only offer me two machines that had to be monitored by the DME via cellular data transmission. Call me paranoid, but I'm highly privacy conscious and do not want to have people remotely recording my data that I have no control over. I also have a high insurance deductible, so I'm looking to buy a CPAP machine myself.

Looking at all the options, it seems that if I buy a machine from an online supplier I can disconnect whatever wifi/cell/bluetooth monitoring they use. I would then like to use the SD card to look at my own data and bring printouts with me to my doctor's appointments. Seems SleepyHead software is a good option.

Local Craigslist has a DreamStation BiPAP for sale for $350 with low usage hours, which seems like a great deal. Will that work with the SleepyHead software? Do I go for it, or keep looking for something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(I'm still trying to get a copy of my script, but the prescribed pressure is 11, so I realize I don't need a BiPAP...)

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and trying to find the right machine
I believe you are thinking this through correctly. I am not that familiar with the Dreamstation BiPAP, but in the ResMed line I see no disadvantage to using a low end BiPap instead of a straight Auto CPAP. Shutting down the wireless data transmission on a ResMed is a bit difficult, but it can be done. Not sure on the Dreamstation. Perhaps those with Dreamstation BiPap experience can help you more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fs12,

Welcome to Apnea Board. It certainly sounds like you've done your research, kudos on that.

Sleepyhead is the preferred choice here to show your overnight therapy reports, so that is ideal. The DreamStation BiPAP and price also sounds fair, even if you may not need the BiPAP.

One thing to seriously do research on with that machine (actually when purchasing any used device) is to verify Run Hours of the device just to be certain it maintains it's wise purchase choice status.

Keep us updated and best to success.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For used, ensure that it comes from a smoke-free and preferably a pet free environment.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Along with checking the hours make sure it's a DreamStation Auto Bipap and not the DreamStation Bipap Pro. The Pro is a fixed pressure machine and won't adjust pressure to your changing needs throughout the night. You want to get an Auto machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
With the Dreamstation I believe disabling the wireless communication is pretty easy, just pull the modem out the side. That's how the Dreamstation Auto CPAP works, I believe it is the same with the BiPAP model.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for everyone's help. All very helpful.
The ad says that the machine only has 50 working hours; will check with the seller about smoking.

Can anyone confirm that the Dreamstation does indeed work with Sleepyhead software? I've only been able to find somewhat contradictory information that tends to be a few years old...

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
The DreamStation Auto Bipap does work with Sleepyhead.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, turns out the BiPAP machine was the Pro, so I decided to keep looking and stumbled upon someone who was selling an unused Dreamstation Auto CPAP for $150. Picked it up today, and it has 0 working hours on it. Going to order hoses and mask, and hopefully be off to using it within the next week or two.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Super helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation works with Sleepyhead, and I think you can turn the modem off in the clinician menu options. (mine is the APAP unit)

I love my Dreamstation BTW..  like 
I sleep with it more often than I sleep with my wife.  Dreaming Shock Nervous
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,335 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 510 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,338 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 358 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 359 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 503 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  [CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling. Speusippus 1 482 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.