Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New machine
New machine
Hello I have the 551p model, but want to buy a newer model, which is the latest model?

thanks.

Eric
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New machine
Welcome to the forum ericvillarreal,
Here is a link to guide you in choosing a machine and some to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 05:48 PM)ericvillarreal Wrote: Hello I have the 551p model, but want to buy a newer model, which is the latest model?

Hi Eric, welcome to Apnea Board.

I think the Canadian PRS1 DS551 is just like the USA model PRS1 DS550 (CPAP Auto or "APAP").

The Canadian Philips Respironics System One DS561 or USA model DS560 would be a newer version, especially if you get the Heated Tube option, which should come with a higher power AC Adapter than the non-heated tube version.

Now PR has an even newer series, the DreamStation series, available in CPAP Pro (manually-adjusted CPAP), CPAP Auto (better auto-adjusting CPAP), BiPAP (manually adjusted BiPAP) and Auto BiPAP (excellent, I think) versions for uncomplicated Obstructive Sleep Apnea. If you have mostly Central Apneas (more than 5 per hour) an ASV machine may be better.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ericvillarreal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard ericvillarreal!!

The DreamStation that was suggested to you in post #3 is not yet available in Canada. Rumours abound, but the latest info I have received from both my sleep doc and the DME is possibly this December. I'm assuming based on previous replies about your current machine that you may also be in Canada.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
New machine
The newer machines aren't much, if any, improved over the one you have. Why do you want a new machine?

The DreamStation Auto is the newest Philips Respironics machine. I would not buy it right now because users can't (yet) get software that lets you read the data on your therapy and manage your own therapy. The manufacturer's program, Encore, hasn't been updated to read the data (as far as we can tell), and the free, open source, program, SleepyHead hasn't been updated yet, either. There is an online tool that lets you see some data on the DreamStation, but the data is very limited vs. Encore or SleepyHead, and it also depends on your DME or insurance paying a monthly fee to Philips to maintain the data.

The DreamStation is also a new model, and there is the risk of problems you take with any new model.

There is a Model 560 or 561 PRS1 Auto (Philips Respironics System One) machine that may still be available, especially in Canada. It's basically the same as your current machine, but it allows you to use a heated hose to keep down condensation in the hose.

I'd recommend the ResMed AirSense 10 or S9 AutoSet machine instead, but the PRS1 560 is a pretty good choice, too. Read the info in the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2015, 11:41 AM)archangle Wrote: There is a Model 650 PRS1 Auto (Philips Respironics System One) machine that may still be available, especially in Canada. It's basically the same as your current machine, but it allows you to use a heated hose to keep down condensation in the hose.

I'd recommend the ResMed AirSense 10 or S9 AutoSet machine instead, but the PRS1 560 is a pretty good choice, too. Read the info in the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

Your first reference has a typo. Pretty sure you mean the PRS1 model 560 (561 non-U.S.), which is the 60 series auto, and can use the heated hose. A 650 is the old 50 series BiPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2015, 12:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your first reference has a typo. Pretty sure you mean the PRS1 model 560 (561 non-U.S.), which is the 60 series auto, and can use the heated hose. A 650 is the old 50 series BiPAP.

Thanks. Corrected.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 05:48 PM)ericvillarreal Wrote: Hello I have the 551p model, but want to buy a newer model, which is the latest model?

thanks.

Eric
In Canada and Australia, PRS1 Auto 50 series model number 551 (US 550) been discontinued and followed by PRS1 Auto 60 series model number 561 (US 560) have the heated hose option. DreamStation Auto CPAP is the latest Auto machine from PR, we haven't found a software works with machine yet, and that can be drawback

I've used only both ResMed machines, S9 AutoSet and the newer AirSesnse 10 AutoSet, cannot go wrong with either

I get my supplies on-line, locals are too pricey for me, suppliers #2 and #10 ship internationally
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,211 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,799 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,321 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,757 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,251 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.