Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New or Refurbished Machine?
RE: New or Refurbished Machine?
Before you use the SD card as evidence, make sure it has not been used in another machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 09:42 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Since you've had the machine for a long time, start by checking the number of "hours used" that appears on the patient's menu.

Next, check the number of "run hours" on the blower motor. To do this go into the clinician's menu, scroll all the way to the bottom, and click on "about".

(To enter the clinician's menu press the round knob and the home button at the same time for a few seconds.)

When a machine is reset it erases the hours used, but not the run hours. So if these two numbers match, it means your machine was never reset. If it was resold, whoever resold it also likely reset it.

Since the machine I own is one of those 'gently used' machines, I thought it would be interesting to see about the 'run hours'. I was not able to find the spot where this information is stored. I did access the clinician's menu, but did not see anything that would reveal this information. To be honest, I am not tech savvy - so maybe I wasn't doing something right.

Post Reply Post Reply
Grammabear, on the newer models, the run hours information is in My Options/ About in the menus. It is not necessary to go into the clinician menu. This is the same location with the machine serial numbers and firmware versions. Maybe this will point the way for you on the S9.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2016, 09:24 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
Quote:Or maybe someone like me goes to the DME and gets a machine that was just "lightly" used and is told that it is new.

That's illegal. And as already mentioned, insurance fraud. If I were you I'd call the seller and tell them that you have checked the run hours against the hours used, found that they don't match. Moreover, you have the data on the SD card that predates the date of the sale. That's evidence of fraud. Tell them that you plan to report it to your attorney general and your insurance company.

FYI, most insurance companies consider a machine with fewer than 50 hours to still be NEW. I was a little surprised by this, but just wanted to comment that it may not necessarily be illegal to give you a slightly used machine if insurance is paying for it.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK ... so this is complicated. I am grateful for the information! Thanks for all your help. My machine does appear to be "lightly" used. At this point I may be reluctant to chance changing to another "new" machine which I now understand might also be "slightly" used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has the smoke odor resolved? To me, that is the main deal killer. It is possible to remove smoke odor by replacing the silicon seals and some additional cleaning techniques, but to give someone a machine with that problem, and represent that it is new, is pretty bad. They need to know how you feel about it. You are not the first to have this happen, and legal or now, those that complained mostly got satisfaction.

Are the run hours the same as therapy hours? Run hours can be found in the My Options/ About menu. The therapy hours are under your therapy information in the lower menu below the AHI and other data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you Sleeprider. The odor issue has resolved. Is it possible to clean the silicone seals and other parts? Is something like this part of a general yearly cleaning? Somewhere on this site I saw a link to a clinical PDF for the Resmed Airsense 10 machines. Maybe directions would be there.

At this point I have decided to stay with the present machine. My insurance issues which are a bit complicated now will eventually be resolved with the DME. That will be the time for a conversation with the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Information 
Vert interesting thread! I just went and checked my "new" machine. I've used it 305 hours yet it has 578 run hours! Thanks for knowledge gained. An email has been sent to the DME.
tom
Post Reply Post Reply
On Resmed machines, the total run hours will exceed the therapy hours because the machine runs a cool-down cycle briefly after a therapy session. On my machine the total run hours are 2700 and therapy hours are about 2500. So, 8-10% greater run hours than therapy hours is normal, and it could be higher if your therapy sessions are shorter or fragmented.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2016, 10:14 PM)Evie Wrote: thank you Sleeprider. The odor issue has resolved. Is it possible to clean the silicone seals and other parts? Is something like this part of a general yearly cleaning? Somewhere on this site I saw a link to a clinical PDF for the Resmed Airsense 10 machines. Maybe directions would be there.

There are detailed directions for clinicians to clean between patients' usage, but they do not include cleaning the inside.

I've taken the older S9 apart to clean it but it wasn't dirty.

I also took apart a PRS1 to clean it and it was filthy. It was like an oily film of dust had coated everything and gone rancid. I never could get the smell out of that machine until I cleaned it. Shortly afterward it started to fail!
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is it ok to buy Refurbished CPAP machine? Rent ketanerp 1 745 09-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,791 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] Oscar, data formats, DS2, Airsense refurbished fillmore50 17 1,520 10-22-2021, 03:25 PM
Last Post: fillmore50
  Couple Questions on refurbished AirSense 10 GreenScrew 11 1,301 08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Rice95
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,754 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.