Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New or Refurbished Machine?
New or Refurbished Machine?
Several months ago, my DME shop changed my CPAP machine to an Auto CPAP machine. When I got home and turned it on, it smelled terrible. It had been treated with something very fragrant and smelled like cigarette smoke. When I called the shop, they said it was a new machine direct from the warehouse which I doubt very much ... direct from the warehouse maybe, but not new. Because of insurance reasons, I may have to switch to a different DME and also get another machine. How can I be sure that I am getting a new machine and not a used one? I don't want to repeat my experience with the last machine. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New or Refurbished Machine?
Since you've had the machine for a long time, start by checking the number of "hours used" that appears on the patient's menu.

Next, check the number of "run hours" on the blower motor. To do this go into the clinician's menu, scroll all the way to the bottom, and click on "about".

(To enter the clinician's menu press the round knob and the home button at the same time for a few seconds.)

When a machine is reset it erases the hours used, but not the run hours. So if these two numbers match, it means your machine was never reset. If it was resold, whoever resold it also likely reset it.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleepster. I do know that the SD card that came with the machine had another person's data on it when I put in in SleepyHead. Will check your suggestion. I just don't want another used machine. This Auto PAP took forever for the stink to go away.

Evie
Post Reply Post Reply
As the SD card comes with the machine, that is a pretty convincing sign that your DME is trying to pull a fast one on you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm ... guess I should have taken the machine back! This forum is a great place for me to be! I have a lot to learn. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the run hours as mentioned above. If this confirms it, it might be worth contacting your insurance. Giving you a used machine and charging for a new one sounds a lot like insurance fraud to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Chill. What do you think happens to used machines? There are many who try CPAP therapy and decide not to continue. Are those machines cleaned up and sold on internet sites? Or maybe someone like me goes to the DME and gets a machine that was just "lightly" used and is told that it is new. Perhaps the DME thought it was new and the warehouse just passed used equipment on as "new". So then the problem is with the warehouse. This could get complicated. I get it that buying a used machine is OK in some circumstances. My problem is with used equipment that is sold as new. Sorry to ramble!

Evie
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2016, 09:11 PM)Evie Wrote: What do you think happens to used machines? There are many who try CPAP therapy and decide not to continue.

Usually those machines end up in closets. They can be donated, or sold as used.

Quote:Or maybe someone like me goes to the DME and gets a machine that was just "lightly" used and is told that it is new.

That's illegal. And as already mentioned, insurance fraud. If I were you I'd call the seller and tell them that you have checked the run hours against the hours used, found that they don't match. Moreover, you have the data on the SD card that predates the date of the sale. That's evidence of fraud. Tell them that you plan to report it to your attorney general and your insurance company.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Will have a conversation with my DME. Thank you.

Evie
Post Reply Post Reply
Equipment can be sold used, but representing used equipment as new and billing insurance is fraud. The smell of smoke, data on the card and extra hours on the machine are all easy evidence. Get a new machine and don't hold back the threats...If they fail to give you the new machine, call your insurance, the Attorney General's office of consumer affairs, file a compliant with the BBB and make sure they know you are not going to accept this unsafe and unfair practice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,134 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is it ok to buy Refurbished CPAP machine? Rent ketanerp 1 745 09-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] Oscar, data formats, DS2, Airsense refurbished fillmore50 17 1,518 10-22-2021, 03:25 PM
Last Post: fillmore50
  Couple Questions on refurbished AirSense 10 GreenScrew 11 1,299 08-12-2021, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Rice95
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.