Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New sleep apnea patient here using oral device for first time
RE: New sleep apnea patient here using oral device for first time
I don't know how people can be so comfortable with a cpap.  Are people really that comfortable with air blowing in their face all night long?  Isn't that distracting?  I can't even sleep with a fan on in my room.  Isn't having all of those straps around your head uncomfortable and distracting?  I just don't see why having all of those straps is really necessary.  When you're wearing an oxygen mask at a hospital, they don't put all those straps on your head.  And dealing with a machine can be a hassle, changing around the settings and what if the machine breaks the night you need it and the sleep dentist's office is closed?  So I see a lot of problems with a cpap machine.

Oh and I'm a stomach sleeper and can't sleep on my back. I just can't fall asleep on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
liz81,
I'm a little perplexed.  As I read your posts, you seem to be anti-CPAP without any signs of trying the therapy.   Are you apprehensive about trying it and looking for reassurance?  Would you please detail exactly are you looking for from us?

As far as the oxygen mask in the hospital; This is a passive device that adds oxygen to your normal breathing, whereas a CPAP boosts the air pressure to aid in overcoming an obstructed airway.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2017, 10:22 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: liz81,
I'm a little perplexed.  As I read your posts, you seem to be anti-CPAP without any signs of trying the therapy.   Are you apprehensive about trying it and looking for reassurance?  Would you please detail exactly are you looking for from us?

So I can't ask questions here?  Am I not allowed to reconsider the possibility of having a CPAP?  I'm trying to explain why I was against it so I'm asking questions.  Sorry for bothering you.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apologies. Upsetting you was, and is not, my intent. Hopefully another member will be able provide the information that you seek.

Take care.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2017, 08:12 PM)liz81 Wrote: I chose the dental device because I've had a mouth guard before to stop grinding and it didn't bother me so much so I was used to something similar to that.

I also wore a night guard because of grinding. After successfully treating my sleep apnea I find that I rarely need it anymore.

Google NoMask. It's a CPAP mask and night guard all in one.

Quote:I've looked into sleep apnea and my options and I chose the dental device because my sleep apnea is not severe but just mild.

Mild simply means 5-15 events per hour, on average. It's a statistical category required for medical research purposes. You want to be careful with statistics because they don't tell the whole story and can be misleading. My favorite example is having your head in the oven and your feet in the freezer; on average you're okay!

5-15 events per hour on average doesn't tell you what's happening, for example, when your body is trying to fall into the deepest levels of sleep. It could be then, when your throat muscles are the most relaxed, that your airway collapses. Your body may have learned to avoid that dangerous scenario by keeping you out of the deepest levels of sleep. Another person's body might react a different way, ignoring the lesson, and end up being categorized as severe or moderate. It could be, though, that both of you are being deprived of the deepest levels of sleep to the same extent.

The bottom line, regardless, is to treat the affliction. Statistically CPAP machines are better at doing that. Of course, you may be one of the people who can be treated successfully with a dental appliance.

Quote:CPAP machines are used mainly if your sleep apnea is severe and that's not it in my case.

No. CPAP machines are used mainly to treat all levels. They are more successful at treating all levels of sleep apnea than are dental appliances.

Quote:From what I've seen, an oral device can be helpful enough if your sleep apnea is not severe.

I've not seen that. What I saw was evidence that dental appliances are more successful (statistically) at treating mild apnea than they are at treating moderate or severe. However, there is no category for which a dental appliance is more successful, statistically, than a CPAP machine.

So your chances of successful treatment with a dental appliance are greater because your apnea is mild, but they greater still with a CPAP machine. 

Quote:I was reluctant to use a CPAP machine because I didn't want my face covered up with all that strap put around my head.  Looks to me a CPAP would be really uncomfortable and bothersome for people who are trying to sleep.  When I had the sleep study done, I didn't get much sleep with all those monitors on me

I had exactly the same experience and apprehension. The thing is, though, your body adapts to it remarkably well.

(02-20-2017, 09:54 AM)liz81 Wrote: I don't know how people can be so comfortable with a cpap.  Are people really that comfortable with air blowing in their face all night long?  Isn't that distracting? 

Now that I'm adapted I'm completely comfortable with it. It took a lot of effort for me to get there, but it has been worth it because it has improved the quality of my life more than I ever thought possible. To me it's a miracle.

Quote:I just don't see why having all of those straps is really necessary.  When you're wearing an oxygen mask at a hospital, they don't put all those straps on your head. 

You need them for most mask designs because the pressure is higher. NoMask is strapless.

Quote:And dealing with a machine can be a hassle, changing around the settings and what if the machine breaks the night you need it and the sleep dentist's office is closed?  So I see a lot of problems with a cpap machine.

The machines are highly reliable. If you're worried about keep a back up machine handy. That's what I do.

Quote:Oh and I'm a stomach sleeper and can't sleep on my back.  I just can't fall asleep on my back.

Me, too. I use a small pillow (Google Papillow) that allows me to sleep on my side or stomach.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2017, 09:54 AM)liz81 Wrote: Are people really that comfortable with air blowing in their face all night long?  Isn't that distracting? 

The thing is that is does not blow in your face all night long.  The machines do blow out a large volume of air until the mask seals on your face.  But once they are sealed, the only provide a bit more air that you breathe in (there is an exhaust vent that the extra comes out of).  So unless the mask is leaking, you don't feel the air flow.  You can also use nasal pillows in which case there is no air flow on your skin at all.  Zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Liz!

I, too, was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. My dr didn't even want to give me anything (cpap, dental appliance, etc.). But my quality of life symptoms were such that I told him I really need *something*.

My sleep dr and I discussed the dental appliance. He said it leads to TMJ and other jaw issues. I'd read it leads to misalignment. I really don't want more dental problems than I already have. I do use a grinding guard from my dentist, which I love.

I ended up going with the cpap, and I love it! My quality of life has improved so much!!!!

I, too, did not want straps, hoses, and masks, nor noises and feeling confined. After less than a week on my cpap, I got over that. The quality of sleep is another big motivator.

I use the DreamWear nasal mask which rests under the nose. The hose is at the top of my head, so I don't feel like it's in the middle of my face. It's comfy and on the more discreet side. If you didn't like all the crapola from the sleep study (which I didn't either - i was ultra chlostraphobic), I highly recommend at least trying out the DreamWear mask.

Anyways... just some thoughts for you.

I know this is more of a CPAP support group than you were hoping for.

And maybe CPAP is something you may want to give a try (I'd say a 2-4 week trial, at the minimum) to see if maybe it isn't all that bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just opted for a custom made mouth splint as couldn't tolerate a mask on my face - tried every type over a three month period the claustrophobia was a nightmare and I could feel the air rushing into my nose constantly no matter which mask I was using - although seal was perfect according to the machine (resmed 10).  

Three nights in with the splint - am leaving it in longer each night to get used to having something in my mouth. I don't notice any drooling if I am on my back, just if I roll onto my side.  No teeth or jaw pain.  I am noticing I feel better, but one thing I did like about the machine was the nightly stats.  I'm investigating an oximeter so I get a bit of an indication of what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 2,967 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 193 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 227 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.