Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New to CPAP - have a question
Question 
New to CPAP - have a question
Hi, I just started CPAP a few days back and have what is a probably pretty stupid question. I have a Philips Respironics and am using nasal pillows and also have a nasal mask they gave me from the test. They both have vent holes near where the tubing connects. When the machine is on a lot of air comes through the vents, which I assume is normal. The thing is, when I am sleeping I hear the air venting and think the mask is leaking or all the air is coming out of the vent and it freaks me out. I keep on re-adjusting the mask but it is probably fine. It wakes me up several times a night with a panic feeling like I am forgetting to breath and the air is leaking so the CPAP is not working. Can anyone tell me its normal and not to worry about it? Thanks!!

- Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP - have a question
Hi pmartire, welcome aboard
Leak through the vents holes is normal so exhaled air is flushed out and not re-breathed
You might want practice during the day with the machine on while watching tv/reading or/and take a nap so you get use to it during the night
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2013, 12:47 AM)pmartire Wrote: Hi, I just started CPAP a few days back and have what is a probably pretty stupid question. I have a Philips Respironics and am using nasal pillows and also have a nasal mask they gave me from the test. They both have vent holes near where the tubing connects. When the machine is on a lot of air comes through the vents, which I assume is normal. The thing is, when I am sleeping I hear the air venting and think the mask is leaking or all the air is coming out of the vent and it freaks me out. I keep on re-adjusting the mask but it is probably fine. It wakes me up several times a night with a panic feeling like I am forgetting to breath and the air is leaking so the CPAP is not working. Can anyone tell me its normal and not to worry about it? Thanks!!

- Paul

It's normal and don't worry. You're correct those holes are vents and air will always come out.
If your mask is leaking you'll generally feel it on your face or your eyes.
If you have nasal pillows like me, just lift it about a 1/2 inch off your face and let the pillows settle back down. That usually fixes any small leak.
Give it some time and you'll get used to all the noises and stuff :-)
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paul - welcome to Apnea Board!

Air coming out of the vent holes is completely normal. Those holes are necessary to allow you to breathe out carbon dioxide. The continuous positive pressure coming through the hose pushes out the carbon dioxide so there is no build-up in your mask.

A certain amount of "noise" is normal - you should hear a gentle hissing sound coming from the holes. Some masks are more noisy than others, others may not seal well to your facial structure. There is no one perfect mask for everyone - several folks have had to try numerous masks before the found the right one for them.

Make sure your mask is fitting properly, also. Here's a thread that discusses mask-fit:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

If the mask they gave you keeps waking you up, you might ask for another brand/make/type of mask that might be quieter. Perhaps a standard nasal mask rather than a nasal pillows system.

But don't let a small amount of air hissing noise bother you - it is normal.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for getting back so fast Zonk, that is really great of you. OK, so it is normal for air to vent all the time even when I am not exhaling right? By the way your Matrix avatar is awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2013, 01:08 AM)pmartire Wrote: OK, so it is normal for air to vent all the time even when I am not exhaling right?

Yep, completely normal to vent all the time, not just on exhale. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum ... no question is dumb with us ... ask away any time. We have all been where you are at.

The air is normal. Sometimes it is louder than others depending on what position you are in. Also, if you are concerned of leaks you can check the data read out on your machine to see what the leak rate is. Under 24L/ min is acceptable. You can sometimes hear your inhale and exhale. It took me some time to get used to that.

Good luck with your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pmartire,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes, when I sleep on my side, the air from the vent holes on my mask will make noise if it is too close to my pillow. I just move my mask a bit and that takes care of it.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and feel free to ask any questions you have to help you understand it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome hosehead Smile

All is well, in fact, use the sound as a reassurance that all *is* well. It's when you lose the sound that you need to worry !!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 291 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 659 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,186 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.