Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New to all this need advice
RE: New to all this need advice
Does a full face mask allow you to breathe out of your mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2019, 06:47 PM)xian67 Wrote: Does a full face mask allow you to breathe out of your mouth?

Yes, kind of the purpose of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found it odd that they will not start out with a full mask. She seemed to be very anti about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of users find an FFM claustrophobic. There are 2 schools of thought on mask trials Max to min and min to Max. Max is a full face mask, min being a nasal pillow mask. I'm a Min to Max person, but the reverse is a legitimate strategy.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I've got it all hooked up but I've got questions. 

Should I feel air going out the mask when inhaling? 
Does the elbow side of the hose go to the machine?

My heart rate is up not sure why I think I'm nervous. Any tips?
Post Reply Post Reply
Air is vented from the mask at all times and may vent more during inhale. If you have a machine with expiratory pressure relief, the pressure rises during inhale, as does the flow of vented air.
The elbow normally hooks directly to the mask. It would help to know the manufacturer and model you ended up with, as there are exceptions.

Relax into the pressure and you will be fine. Your heart rate from anxiety is normal.

What is your pressure prescription?
What machine model was dispensed?
What mask are you using?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Airsense 10 AutoSet

Pressure 7-16

Not sure on the mask. It doesn't seem to have adjustable straps or I'm newbing it up Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI of 4 which isn't bad but I only slept 4 hours once I finally settled down. I was anxious. Here's a pic, not sure how to upload.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You are using a pressure of 7-16 with EPR 3. Most of your events are CA and your obstructive apnea and hypopnea is less than 1 per hour. This is very promising, and the only change I thin you need to make is to turn down EPR to 2 or 1. A lower EPR setting will result in less difference in pressure between inhale and exhale and should result in much lower CA events. Overall, your therapy looks good and resolving the remaining CA issues should be fairly easy by reducing EPR. Your pressure never goes above 12-cm. There is no need to change your maximum pressure since the machine only goes as high as needed to resolve obstruction and flow limitation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2019, 08:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are using a pressure of 7-16 with EPR 3.  Most of your events are CA and your obstructive apnea and hypopnea is less than 1 per hour. This is very promising, and the only change I thin you need to make is to turn down EPR to 2 or 1.   A lower EPR setting will result in less difference in pressure between inhale and exhale and should result in much lower CA events.  Overall, your therapy looks good and resolving the remaining CA issues should be fairly easy by reducing EPR.  Your pressure never goes above 12-cm.  There is no need to change your maximum pressure since the machine only goes as high as needed to resolve obstruction and flow limitation.

With what the tech that helped me fit my mask I'm not sure the Dr. would allow me to change EPR myself. I'm debating whether to ask, or just change it and ask for forgiveness. But that's great to hear it's promising news! I just wish I wasn't so anxious and could relax and get more than 4 hours sleep. 

So I've got some questions..

Do I need to empty the water out every morning?
Do I need to disconnect the hose and dry it every morning?
How should i clean the pillows mask? Soap and water? Wipes? How often?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,544 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 329 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 466 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 293 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,029 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 188 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.