Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New to all this need advice
RE: New to all this need advice
James, look at the organization link in my signature, you should display 
Events
Flow Rate
Flow Limits
Pressure
Leaks
Snores

You can vertically shrink Flow Limits, Leaks, and snore to get them all on 1 page

A pressure excursion is simply a rise in pressure.  ResMed uses OA, H events and Flow Limits as the main drivers followed by Snores.  You have good examples of Flow Limits and Snores driving pressure increases.

What are Flow Limits?  Simply think of a continuum from Apnea, to Hypopnea, to Flow Limits, to Normal.  Flow Limits are the lowest level of obstructive events.

EPAP (Exhale) treats Obstructive Apnea, The difference between exhale and inhale pressures (EPR on your machine) best treats Hypopnea, Flow Limits, RERAs, UARS, and Snores..

What is your EPR set at?  You may have the EPAP portion of the pressure graph turned off (Check Plots in the Pressure Graph menu (right click the the graph name and check Plots.)

Most importantly, How do you feel? and it is important to be critical.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2020, 10:39 AM)bonjour Wrote: A pressure excursion is simply a rise in pressure.  ResMed uses OA, H events and Flow Limits as the main drivers followed by Snores.  You have good examples of Flow Limits and Snores driving pressure increases.

What are Flow Limits?  Simply think of a continuum from Apnea, to Hypopnea, to Flow Limits, to Normal.  Flow Limits are the lowest level of obstructive events.

EPAP (Exhale) treats Obstructive Apnea, The difference between exhale and inhale pressures (EPR on your machine) best treats Hypopnea, Flow Limits, RERAs, UARS, and Snores..

What is your EPR set at?  You may have the EPAP portion of the pressure graph turned off (Check Plots in the Pressure Graph menu (right click the the graph name and check Plots.)

Most importantly, How do you feel? and it is important to be critical.

Ah, thank you for those explanations.

EPR is currently set to off. It was turned off a few months ago to try to control centrals.

I feel ok, but not fully rested. Some days I wake up tired and overall feel so so about cpap helping thus far. There is room for optimization for sure.

Here are the charts correctly done

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Just for fun I turned on EPR and set it to 1 full time last night but it felt about the same waking up this morning. 

Curious to hear your thoughts on the charts from last reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my viewpoint your charts look good and your OSA is treated correctly. There is a background level of CA’s they are not high enough to worry about. Are you on any medication ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2020, 01:23 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: From my viewpoint your charts look good and your OSA is treated correctly. There is a background level of CA’s they are not high enough to worry about. Are you on any medication ?

No I'm not on any medication. 

I've had a night or two that I fell asleep before putting the mask on and felt sluggish the next day, so I know it's helping. I just don't feel well rested in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
James my new sleep doc shocked the heck out of me when he gave my results. I salute him.

He said my old pressure would do. It was 11.
He said that he would increase it to 13 so that I would have more curative sleep.

Since then I've increased it again, myself, to 14.

I was diagnosed over 30, almost 35 years ago. During all that time I felt the same as you. Since my pressure was increased by this sleep doc I've felt better, less tired, and happier.

I wear a Garmin watch. It gives sleep studies. It reports now that I have generally twice as much deep sleep as I used to, before the pressure increase.

My quest is for sleep quality. I want to feel happier and more rested if I have to wear all this crap every night.

everyone here is more knowledgeable than I...
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2020, 02:34 PM)DaveL Wrote: James my new sleep doc shocked the heck out of me when he gave my results. I salute him.

He said my old pressure would do. It was 11.
He said that he would increase it to 13 so that I would have more curative sleep.

Since then I've increased it again, myself, to 14.

I was diagnosed over 30, almost 35 years ago. During all that time I felt the same as you. Since my pressure was increased by this sleep doc I've felt better, less tired, and happier.

I wear a Garmin watch. It gives sleep studies. It reports now that I have generally twice as much deep sleep as I used to, before the pressure increase.

My quest is for sleep quality. I want to feel happier and more rested if I have to wear all this crap every night.

everyone here is more knowledgeable than I...

It's really a shame that most doc see AHI below 5 and say "you are sleeping much better" and end there, instead of improving. I'm glad you found a new doc that at least tried to help more. 

Same for me, I know I am sleeping better but the quality can still be improved. I'm currently going to school and should finish end of this year. When I first started I was tired of the brain fog and feeling blah all day every day. I knew it was time to get better rest so I can continue to improve life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see your chart with EPR=1, I was going to suggest a trial at that. Your numbers are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2020, 01:41 PM)bonjour Wrote: Let's see your chart with EPR=1,  I was going to suggest a trial at that.  Your numbers are good.

Alright here is a chart with EPR 1, although it's just one night. I feel fairly rested so I'm curious to see over the next few.

I'll post a couple more. I did take a 3mg melatonin before bed last night, not sure if that could affect the centrals.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Note the slight increase in Centrals.  Not bad but let's hold here for at least a week and let your body adjusts to these settings.  See if the centrals go down a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 101 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,044 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 195 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,608 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 355 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 510 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 313 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.