Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New unit, new questions
New unit, new questions
Hello all,
After seven years using a ResMed S9 with a Mirage Quattro mask, I was upgraded to an AirSense 10 Autoset and chose DreamWear air pillows. After 3 days, I have some questions.
  • While the unit has an SD card slot, no card was provided. The unit is transmitting data via cellular network. Can I reuse the SD card from my S9 to record data? Does inserting an SD card disable the cellular transmission?
  • I am sensitive to privacy. What data is being transmitted and who has access? I presume it is going to my DME provider and my doctor. Compliance information, is presumably going to my health insurance company. Is ResMed receiving it as well?
  • The first two nights, I used the auto climate settings and wound up with a dry, stuffy nose. Last night, I bumped the humidity up to 5. That helped, but I got a rainout at 3 am. Does anyone have advice on humidity / temperature settings or is it trial and error?
Finally, I noticed a panoply of donation methods. Which one has the lowest frictional costs?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New unit, new questions
Your Airsense 10 Autoset can use any SD card from 2 to 32 GB formatted to FAT32. Just erase old data and the S9 card should be fine.

Transmitted data goes to Resmed and is available only to your DME and/or physician by subscription to AirView, which receives the data from Resmed. It seems to be a pretty secure software only available to professionals, and they need to pay for it and use your machine's serial number to have access. Not too many hackers are interested in your anonymous apnea, and in many cases, no one is listening. You can disable the modem if that is your preference. We can tell you how, but it involves openng the case and pulling a plug on the modem mounted on the main board.

Most of us have learned to use the manual settings rather than auto. If you are approaching winter, try humidity at 4 with the heated tube at 80 degrees, and work from there for comfort.

Donations are used to operate the site, and while Supersleeper has a few alternate methods, he seems to like Paypal just fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also switched from an S9 (six and a half years) to a new AS10 last week.  I use the manual settings and run the humidifier on three , but I do like the air a bit cooler I set my hose temperature to 65 during the summer and 70 during the winter.  

If I might tag on you thread, I am having an issue with the device making a constant humming noise while i am breathing. It goes to a higher pitch on inhale and a lower pitch on exhaling.  I moved across the room as far as my tubing would allow and we determined it is the machine and not the mask fit.  I did hold my breath and found that it does not make the sounds. I selected that device because most comments were that it was very quiet.   Are you have any issues like this?

Thanks and good sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
the fan RPM's go up on inhale and down on exhale, all CPAP's do this because that is what it takes to maintain pressure.

unless the humming is a bearing going bad you may be sensitive to noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try setting it on a cushion to help deaden the noise.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback, however, the device is new out of box on 10/29, so unless it is a defect with the unit I wouldn't think a bearing is bad. This new device is making a much louder noise than my six year old S9 ever did. I have tried the ramp on auto, off, and manual set time and the noise starts as the machine starts with my breathing.  I may have to contact Apria what they suggest.  

foodphixer
Post Reply Post Reply
My humidifier tank will make a noise if it isn't completely seated in its seals. I've found that I need to feel the resistance of the seals as I insert it, then a quick and definitive snapping in action. Where I hear a "click". I hope this may be that simple for you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thank you all for your feedback. After talking to the CRT with Apria, she definitely thinks it is a device issue. She says the AirSense 10 is usually very quiet. They are going to replace the unit under warranty.   Hopefully this next one will be better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2020, 01:13 PM)foodphixe Wrote: I might tag on you thread, I am having an issue with the device making a constant humming noise while i am breathing. It goes to a higher pitch on inhale and a lower pitch on exhaling.  I moved across the room as far as my tubing would allow and we determined it is the machine and not the mask fit.  I did hold my breath and found that it does not make the sounds. I selected that device because most comments were that it was very quiet.   Are you have any issues like this?

Thanks and good sleep

Foodphixe, I can't say that I am having similar problems. My new unit is quieter than my S9, where I could hear the fan motor changing RPM. I do notice a bit more air sound from the nasal pillows. I am curious to know if your replacement unit is quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the replacement unit is very quiet. In fact the first night if it hadn't been for the air flowing we wouldn't even known it was running. The good news is that it is not even using the full high level of pressure that the old S9 was needing to keep my event numbers low.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Adaptive servo-ventilation unit vs APAP Comfortcomposites 9 536 12-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.