Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New user looking for support and answers
New user looking for support and answers
Hi All,
I'm a newby here. Just started CPAP this past Friday with mixed results. I'm using an F&P ICON AAP and they set me up with a Resmed Quadro full face mask. My main issues so far seem to be relatively common such as pulling the mask off at night.
I do have a couple of questions for you seasoned CPAPrs out there.
1- Does anyone else have deviated septum and are you having issues with the mask shutting off your nasal breathing?
2- I'm currently reviewing a mask from Resmed named Mirage Liberty that looks like it may be the answer to my issues. Has anyone used or have any comments on this mask in general?
Thanks in advance. I can use all the help I can get trying to adjust to a new way of sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user looking for support and answers
I don't have experience with those particular masks, and have never used a full face mask. I had surgery to correct a deviated septum.

The CPAP machine helps me keep my nasal passages open. Others with nasal congestion issues have reported that the CPAP helps them, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepNLoudly and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't use a full-face mask, (FFM,)but hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback Sleepster. What I've noticed is that when I put on the mask it pinches the sides of my nose and the bad side just closes off. As for the mask the bottom portion is holding my mouth shut. The combination of both of these things is too much. I have 30 days to try different mask types and find the right one. Reading all of the other posts here make me feel hopeful that the CPAP may actually work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 09:30 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SleepNLoudly and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't use a full-face mask, (FFM,)but hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to you.

Thanks trish6'
I've been looking around the forums here and it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from regarding the CPAP treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
more likely what you describe to do with the nasal cycle which is common for many folks
one nostril get plugged and allow tiny amount of air thru while the other nostril handles the rest

see chapter 5 - http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

actually I waken up this morning with a headache, ripping the mask off, felt one the nostril blocked and no air going thru
took a while for the headache to clear off and breathing from both nostrils

now its your best chance trying different masks to find what type works best for you
full face masks allows you to breath either from your nose or mouth
full face masks not worked for me, leaked like sieve and kept awake all night but of course everyone is different

hang in there, it can works just need to be persistence

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 09:05 PM)SleepNLoudly Wrote: Hi All,
I'm a newby here. Just started CPAP this past Friday with mixed results. I'm using an F&P ICON AAP and they set me up with a Resmed Quadro full face mask. My main issues so far seem to be relatively common such as pulling the mask off at night.
I do have a couple of questions for you seasoned CPAPrs out there.
1- Does anyone else have deviated septum and are you having issues with the mask shutting off your nasal breathing?
2- I'm currently reviewing a mask from Resmed named Mirage Liberty that looks like it may be the answer to my issues. Has anyone used or have any comments on this mask in general?
Thanks in advance. I can use all the help I can get trying to adjust to a new way of sleeping.

Hi SleepNLoudly and
Welcome

I have a deviated septum and use the Quattro FX FFM. I have found that running my humidifier at the max really helps with my nose breathing. The mask does pinch my nose if I wear it where the manufacturer suggests (on the bridge of the nose), so I wear it a little higher on the nose (the top of the mask sits at the top of the nose) and in order to keep the bottom part of the mask from sitting just below my bottom lip and keeping my mouth closed I moved up in mask size. I've found that I always wake up with my mouth closed anyway unless my humidifier runs out of water. This works well for me and I don't get leaks when I wear it this way, but everyone is different. I highly recommend trying as many masks as you can while on the trial period. Finding the right mask is the most challenging part for many people.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
There are oral masks as well. It is like a SCUBA mouthpiece. One is called the Oracle. Google "oral CPAP mask" or "oracle CPAP mask".

I tried the Liberty years ago and hated it. BUT, that doesn't mean you will.

My pressure at that point was 10 and as soon as I turned the machine on, it was like my face was in a wind tunnel. It blew my mouth open, flapped my lips, and was intolerable. Within two hours of trying to adjust to it, I had split lips, wind burn on my cheeks, and was NOT a happy camper. However, I have fragile skin so I was not surprised at some of the damage. I returned the mask. I would assume that I would feel the same way with any full face mask, but perhaps having the air spread further around the face vs just the nostrils and mouth would be better.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 09:05 PM)SleepNLoudly Wrote: My main issues so far seem to be relatively common such as pulling the mask off at night.
Hi 'SleepNLoudly,

Pulling the mask off is common until you get used to breathing through CPAP, I did it too, just keep putting it back on and you'll stop eventually.

(12-30-2012, 09:05 PM)SleepNLoudly Wrote: 1- Does anyone else have deviated septum and are you having issues with the mask shutting off your nasal breathing?

I have a deviated septum too, I wear a ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM, it rests higher on the nose (bridge) and has no effect on my septum since it's on the bony part of the nose unlike the Quattro FX you currently have, there's also an adjustable forehead pad to allow you to adjust how much pressure the mask places on your nasal bridge.

Were you shown the proper "swing 'n seal" method of putting your Quattro FX mask on by your RT?

(12-30-2012, 09:05 PM)SleepNLoudly Wrote: 2- I'm currently reviewing a mask from Resmed named Mirage Liberty that looks like it may be the answer to my issues. Has anyone used or have any comments on this mask in general?

I've never tried the Mirage Liberty, I've seen it and know it's a hybrid mask, there are a few regular members here that use it so they should be able to offer more insight regarding its pro's and con's.

I take it you're a mouth breather like me and require a FFM. If you don't have a history of breathing through your mouth there's a lot of other options you could try, nasal pillows go slightly into your nostrils and nasal cushions just go around your nose.

Good luck, the mask is the hardest part to figure-out but after you find what works for you're on the right track.

Sleep-well

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 10:07 PM)zonk Wrote: more likely what you describe to do with the nasal cycle which is common for many folks
one nostril get plugged and allow tiny amount of air thru while the other nostril handles the rest

see chapter 5 -

actually I waken up this morning with a headache, ripping the mask off, felt one the nostril blocked and no air going thru
took a while for the headache to clear off and breathing from both nostrils

now its your best chance trying different masks to find what type works best for you
full face masks allows you to breath either from your nose or mouth
full face masks not worked for me, leaked like sieve and kept awake all night but of course everyone is different

hang in there, it can works just need to be persistence

Thanks for the info Zonk. This is good stuff. I've been putting off the nasal surgery for years now as I just haven't wanted to go through with it. It may be time to research it more...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,342 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 413 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 683 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Support David Clark 23 1,628 01-08-2024, 04:01 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Hank68 Treatment Thread - Seeking Help and Support Please! Hank68 20 1,100 01-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Hank68

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.