Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New user needs help picking ASV machine with great software. Sleepyhead? Others?
New user needs help picking ASV machine with great software. Sleepyhead? Others?
I had a sleep study done in April and it quickly switched to a cpap->bipap titration because of high AHI the first 2 hours. They used a Philips Respironics machine but it didn't look like a dreamstation, probably some clinical model? After waiting TWO MONTHS to see my sleep Dr. he wants me to do an ASV titration due to sever complex apnea with a lot of centrals. I'm still waiting for that to be scheduled though he told the nurse to bump who ever they needed to and get me in soon.

I had used sleepyhead along with a logging pulse/ox before the study and found my saturation was dipping into the low 80's alot. Now that I'm going to be getting a machine I was really looking forward to using sleephead. I'm having a hard time finding what machines are actually currently supported. Every list I find is outdated but I'll find random posts saying x works now. I also saw mention that the developer may not be updating it any longer, is this true?

It seems my choices should be between a DreamStation BiPAP AutoSV or a Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV for great machines. From what I can piece together Sleepyhead currently works with the AirCurve 10 ASV but not for the DreamStation. I thought with the sleep study center using a PhillipsRespironics machine my DR might try to send me in that direction with no sleepyhead support.

What about Sleep Master? I thought it was just for remote retrieval of the sdcard's data but now it has a data viewer? Does it log and give statistics for everything like sleepyhead or does it only view the most recent import? Does it support the 2 machines I'm choosing between?

Is there any other software out there I should be looking at?

Is there any reason besides logging software I should chose one machine over the other? I thought i saw one doesn't differentiate between obstructive and centrals in the logging? That seems kind of important seeing as I need the ASV for centrals in the first place.

Thanks for you help as I transition to Darth Vader for sleeping!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user needs help picking ASV machine with great software. Sleepyhead? Others?
G'day gtrlum. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It's good to see your doctor is not messing about and is getting you on to an ASV ASAP.

As far as I am aware (and I stand to be corrected) #SleepyHead works OK with the Resmed ASV but not with the Dreamstation. In addition to SleepyHead you could also try the manufacturers' software ResScan (for the Resmed) and Encore Pro (for the Philips Dreamstation). These are available in the private area of this site (you must be logged in to access it).

The general consensus (on this forum) is that the Resmed is the more successful machine. The Philips has a lot of manual adjustments to configure, which means you can dial in the settings to suit yourself exactly - it also means there are a lot of things to get wrong. The Resmed takes a different approach and uses an algorithm called PaceWave to adjust the settings on the fly. The Resmed also has an auto EPAP mode which will vary the exhalation pressure as required on a breath-by-breath basis, while the Dreamstation keeps a constant EPAP.

The Philips does differentiate between central and obstructive apneas. The Resmed does not differentiate - it just gets on and treats them instantly. Resmed claim that all central apneas are totally suppressed so any that do occur will be obstructive. I have some doubt about that, but I do know from personal experience on my older Resmed S9 with Pacewave that it's extremely effective and my untreated AHI of 62 is down to less than 2.0, and often below 1.0.

My personal advice is to go with the Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user needs help picking ASV machine with great software. Sleepyhead? Others?
Hi gtrlum,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and also with your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What Deepbreathing said is exactly in agreement with my opinions on the matter. Observing members of this forum on ASV, it is clear that they adapt faster, with fewer residual events using the Resmed. Philips has a great marketing machine, and many U.S. doctors seem reluctant to recalcitrant to prescribe the Resmed, even though Resmed invented ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 08:52 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What Deepbreathing said is exactly in agreement with my opinions on the matter. Observing members of this forum on ASV, it is clear that they adapt faster, with fewer residual events using the Resmed. Philips has a great marketing machine, and many U.S. doctors seem reluctant to recalcitrant to prescribe the Resmed, even though Resmed invented ASV.

Recalcitrant! I had to look that one up heh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 86 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,081 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 523 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 368 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,282 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 403 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 332 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.