Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New user - sore nasal bridge
New user - sore nasal bridge
It started as a boil and now after two nights it has a scab.

My therapist gave me a "gecko" skin - but it is translucent and I'm blind as a bat when I take my glasses off to apply the mask...

Is there any other suggestions? Band aid, surgical tape?

I'm using a PR "Easylife" and when I lay down - I loosen the straps and pull down only enough to create a seal...

So far things are going well.. My AHI was 15 untreated in sleep lab, and after two nights the machine reports an AHI of 0.4! I wake up feeling very refreshed, my blood pressure is lower in the morning than when I go to sleep (that's a first for me) - and I've had to reduce the amount of insulin I get from my pump over night by 10%!

All in all, everything is going great - but I'd rather not lose all the skin on the bridge on my nose!?

Heeeelp Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user - sore nasal bridge
I had the same problems starting out. It should go away after a while. I use a silicone pad on my nose bridge when using my nose mask and it has helped a lot. I still get a bit sore and red on the bridge when I wake up. I use a nasal pillow mask instead and alternate between that and the nose mask. I am also looking into an all gel nose mask (which reminds me) and I've heard that those are more comfortable (???).

Don't overtighten or have your mask too loose...I have found that both scenarious do not help with the soreness. Adjust so that you have a good seal while at the same time avoiding the mask to rub on your bridge.

Anyway, best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2012, 09:47 PM)memnoch1974 Wrote: I had the same problems starting out. It should go away after a while. I use a silicone pad on my nose bridge when using my nose mask and it has helped a lot. I still get a bit sore and red on the bridge when I wake up. I use a nasal pillow mask instead and alternate between that and the nose mask. I am also looking into an all gel nose mask (which reminds me) and I've heard that those are more comfortable (???).

Don't overtighten or have your mask too loose...I have found that both scenarious do not help with the soreness. Adjust so that you have a good seal while at the same time avoiding the mask to rub on your bridge.

Anyway, best of luck.

Thanks... How did you convince them to give you more than one mask? I believe that I was told that they would replace this one with another after 1.5 weeks if it wasn't working out... Are masks RX or can they be purchased without a RX if need be?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2012, 09:34 PM)andersgeorgsson Wrote: Is there any other suggestions? Band aid, surgical tape?
Check Padacheek web-site for mask liners, nose pads and be sure that you are fitting the mask properly.

Post Reply Post Reply
Most DMEs have a policy of allowing the patient to try as many masks as possible. Some have as much as 30 days to let the user try a mask before requesting another. 1.5 weeks is an odd amount of time but should be enough to let you know if it will work or not.

Make sure you do not have your mask too tight. Also make sure that the mask fits you right and you are not getting a wrinkle in that spot.

What mask are you using?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is excellent mask fitting guide by jeffy1958
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Post Reply Post Reply
Suppliers in USA generally do require Rx for mask purchases. Some, though, like Supplier #10 in the Supplier List do sell mask parts without Rx. If it is awkward or difficult to get the Rx sent to a supplier, then just order parts. Just make sure you order all the parts you need for the mask you want...you'll figure it out.

I had some facial sensitivities also, and I found it easier to get acclimated to the hose when I got a second, different mask and started switching from one to the other every night or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 12:38 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Most DMEs have a policy of allowing the patient to try as many masks as possible. Some have as much as 30 days to let the user try a mask before requesting another. 1.5 weeks is an odd amount of time but should be enough to let you know if it will work or not.

Make sure you do not have your mask too tight. Also make sure that the mask fits you right and you are not getting a wrinkle in that spot.

What mask are you using?

A respironics easylife.. It feels great - and i always "relax" the headgear and tighten only enough to silance any leaks... I will talk to the DME this morning and see what she says Smile

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I experienced the same problem that you are having with the nasal mask. The soreness NEVER went away. I went back to my DME, where a different respiratory therapist looked at me and wondered why I was ever given a nasal mask to begin with. She could see that the bridge of my nose was extremely boney and narrow. No wonder, she said, the mask cuts into my nose. She replaced it with nasal pillows, which takes all of the pressure off the bridge of my nose. Although it took a few nights to get those pillows adjusted right so I was getting the same good numbers I had with the mask, the effort was worth it for the comfort I now enjoy. Most DME's will exchange masks/pillows within the first month or so. Mine actually let me keep the nasal mask as a back up. Aalthough I never want to go back to a nasal mask, perhaps with a cold, I may need to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I spoke to the DME and she said that she would bring a pillow mask on monday when she comes to download the first 7 days of data - so that we would have options at that time Smile

Normally they want you to use the mask 10 days "to get used to it",
but if it is hurting you - they will swap it quicker.
I'd love to keep it for backup Smile

Geesh - I just went to Supplier #10 and the masks aren't THAT expensive (i use an insulin pump and my supplies for a week of treatment is more expensive than the easylife without headgear!) Unsure

Thanks for your advice Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 988 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 857 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.