Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Newbie ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Questions
Newbie ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Questions
I have been recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and started treatment a couple of days ago. I have a couple of questions.

1. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with an itch on my nose (I use nose mask). I unclip and itch it and I find that it is condensation on the tip of my nose causing the irritation. I have been lowering the humidity from 4 (where it was set at pickup) down to 2. It was a little better last night but not completely gone. I dont want to try lower as I am noticing my throat is getting a little dryer. Is there a better way to control this? I did not get the heated tube with mine. Would this help?

2. Last night I tried the autostart function. I woke up in the middle of the night and the unit was off but my mask was on. Did I stop breathing and it shut off? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose? Is this common? Maybe I should go back to manual?

Thanks,

shane
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Questions
A heated tube should help with the condensation problem. I've used autostart plenty and not noticed the problem you've described, so I'm unsure how to help with the second problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
for problem no.1 their are two ways to solve this problem 1) heated tube 2) hose cover which you can buy in market
for problem no.2 this is an unusual problem but would check if your mask is leaking or your mouth breathing, there is no definitive answer for the second problem cuz you didn't post any oscar data
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both. Still trying to learn about everything to analyze the data.  Been watching hours of CPAP reviews and trying sleephq software. Have not analyzed last night yet. My unit does not have wireless so I have to use the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people report problems with auto start. Just turn it off. Use the top button to start and stop the machine.

If your pap machine is lower than the bed it usually solves the problem with water in the mask. If not many use a hose set up over the head board or hose holder that keeps the hose above your hea - the condensation will just run back into the machine.

From wiki board at the top of the page.

Water in the CPAP hose, it will happen to most of us at some time.

Solutions:

Don't overfill your humidifier. Overfilling will frequently blow water from the humidifier into the hose and eventually into your mask.
In addition if you have your hose go up from your CPAP (see Hose Management above) This will be contained at your CPAP. If not it will seek the lowest level, the U at the floor your hose forms, or your face as it still seeks the low point.
Rainout!!! The condensation of water in the CPAP hose. This is fixed by temperature and humidity control
Heated Hose. This raises the temperature of the hose to prevent condensation. Typically these integrate with the CPAP and have both auto and manual modes. An additional benefit of improving users comfort.
A Hose cozy. A cloth covering for the CPAP hose which insulates it preventing condensation. This will also reduce flow noise coming from the hose. CPAP machines have been known to pickup "Snores" coming from the CPAP hose rubbing over an edge, this will also reduce "Snores" of this origin. Keep in mind that "snores" can trigger a pressure increase on an Auto CPAP.
Decreasing humidification of the humidifier.
A room humidifier to increase the humidification in the room.
Raising the room temperature to decrease the condensation in the CPAP hose.
A combination of all of the above. The goal is your comfort. Some of the above may not be practical in your situation.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, turned it off. I keep the machine on the floor. the condensation in the tube does not seem to be an issue, just gathering on the top of my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to do the same with combination with a tube sleeve to reduce condensation in the mask. I extend the tube sleeve up until the exhale vent on my P10 mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2022, 10:11 AM)shane1 Wrote: 2. Last night I tried the autostart function. I woke up in the middle of the night and the unit was off but my mask was on. Did I stop breathing and it shut off? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose? Is this common? Maybe I should go back to manual?

Just to clarify,  the "AutoStop" feature of the Airsense won't turn the machine off if you stop breathing, it turns the machine off, when it believes you're no longer at the end of the hose. It does this by excessive, sustained leaks.

But I agree with the rest of the field. Turn it off.  New CPAP users have a lot on their plates, no need to add another complication. Later as you adjust, and get more comfortable, you can revisit turning it back on, if you like.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 5 317 1 hour ago
Last Post: Matsu1
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,379 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  EPR questions juniper 5 192 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 175 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 127 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,940 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 130 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.