Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Newly diagnosed OSA - Which ACPAP
Newly diagnosed OSA - Which ACPAP
Hi All,

Recently I was diagnosed with OSA and was advised a target pressure of 10 mbar. I spent countless hours searching for a right AutoCPAP machine to buy, and landed here. The forum is great with tons of useful information. I also read Archangel's wiki page. Though I am still not sure about the right machine to buy. I live in India and do not have any insurance to cover this. Could you please help with some of my questions?

A local seller is recommending me BMC's RESmart Auto with humidifier. His argument is to not go for expensive machines as I am new to the therapy and dont need such complex machines.

Reading this forum I think I should go for ResMed A10 AutoSet for Her. But the dilemma is: 
Do I actually need this expensive machine? 
What if I do not respond to it? 
Do I need all the data that ReSMed generates? 

I need to buy the machine quickly. Thanks very much for all your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly diagnosed OSA - Which ACPAP
It all depends what you want to do with your machine.
If you want to go outdoors and do camping etc, then a 12Vdc model would save you buying a step up 12Vdc to 24Vdc transformer as required with Resmed machines. I would be inclined to go for a 12Vdc model if you get power outs a lot as you can in an emergency run it on a 12Vdc car battery, though a heavy duty deep cycle battery would be best. Otherwise, pick what you want, but you get what you pay for and I would be inclined not to go for what your doctor says. Unless he has a good reason why he is recommending a cheap machine. If it is for life, as most are. Go for a good model that has good write ups.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Manju,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

In answer to your question:  "Do I actually need this expensive machine?"

I believe you get what you pay for.  The most important thing to consider is that this is your health.
You said you read the machine choices wiki page, if so, then you know what to purchase and what not to purchase.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-success

You would probably respond well to either the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the PR DreamStation Auto.

Do you care about tracking your data?  Then these machines with the use of #SleepyHead software will allow you to do so.  You will not have detailed information available to you with the machine your supplier is recommending.

If cost is a factor, check out Supplier #2 for gently used low hour machines or Open Box New machines.

Shipping costs would be another factor to consider compared to buying local.

Good luck with your decision, and we would be happy to help get you dialed in with the correct settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 09:09 AM)Manju Wrote: Hi All,

Recently I was diagnosed with OSA and was advised a target pressure of 10 mbar. I spent countless hours searching for a right AutoCPAP machine to buy, and landed here. The forum is great with tons of useful information. I also read Archangel's wiki page. Though I am still not sure about the right machine to buy. I live in India and do not have any insurance to cover this. Could you please help with some of my questions?

A local seller is recommending me BMC's RESmart Auto with humidifier. His argument is to not go for expensive machines as I am new to the therapy and dont need such complex machines.

Reading this forum I think I should go for ResMed A10 AutoSet for Her. But the dilemma is: 
Do I actually need this expensive machine? 
What if I do not respond to it? 
Do I need all the data that ReSMed generates? 

I need to buy the machine quickly. Thanks very much for all your help!

Your pressure of 10 mbar is about 9.0 cm H2O. I don't particularly like the BMC machines.  They are cheaper than Philips or Resmed, but are a clunkier older style and provide data only using the proprietary  ResSmart software.  Results have bee mixed with members using these machines, often buying the better Resmed machine out of pocket.  Very few users are unable to use the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  The Autoset For Her is the same machine with an additional auto program, and is nice, but not worth a lot of additional money.  The data provided by Resmed is extremely useful, and it is that feedback that makes many people successful.   

You may want to check on prices from Supplier #2 who ships internationally.  They sometimes have open box and lightly used equipment at  a considerable savings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can all but guarantee that your treatment needs will change over the life of the machine (likely 5+ years).  Getting data will identify the proper settings in your home, in your bed., not the clinic, a strange bed, with multiple wires attached and so forth.

The ResMed Autoset or Autoset for her are excellent machines that we can help you with, including recommendations for settings.

A different machine may be indicated if you have Central or Complex Apnea.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! This is indeed very helpful. Data is everything. I am making up my mind to invest in Airsense 10 AutoSet.

I wanted to buy the "her" version but it appears it is still not available in India. Would you suggest I go ahead with RESMED Airsense 10 AutoSet? It costs 1050 USD here. Or should I import "her", which will be even expensive. Does it make a lot of difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife uses the Autoset, and so do many members here. I think it is attractive to get the For Her, but not if it costs much more. The regular Autoset still has a soft and regular auto-program and is a great machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Manju,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The Resmed AirScense10 AutoSet is a great choice.
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP journey.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much! All of you have been wonderful. My Resmed Air Sense10 AutoSet is coming today! Could you please guide me with the settings. The doctor has prescribed pressure of 10 mbar. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If your doctor prescribed 10, then a good range would be 2cm below and 2cm above.
So try 8cm minimum and 12 maximum.

You may have to adjust after a few days.

Download #SleepyHead software, then after a few days data, follow the tutorials in my signature line and use imgur to post a screenshot of your data here.

Don’t forget to order your Clinicians manual.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 400 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 61 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 390 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 293 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,808 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 413 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.