Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nuance mask headgear issue
Nuance mask headgear issue
I usually have really short hair but have let it grow long(ish) over the winter in an effort to keep my poor brain warm.

Because of the thicker hair, I have a major problem with the Nuance strap that goes around the back of my head. I am being woken up about 4 or more times a night with the mask practically off because that strap is no longer in place. It's up on the top of my head, useless. This also means that the cheek parts are across my eyes.

Any ideas on what I can do about it? Should I make it looser so it isn't as tight and it won't flip up? Know that I type that, I think that's is the best solution.

Anyone know where I can get just the headgear? I am not liking the "Pro" headgear very much.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nuance mask headgear issue
You could try (duct) taping it to you hair, to keep it in place! Eat-popcorn

[Sorry, Paula, gout and meds have given me a strange sense of humor this afternoon.]
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about the Nuance mask, but on my nasal pillows system, it has two straps - one that goes around the back of my head (closer to my neck) and one that goes on the top/rear of my head. If I tighten it too tight, the top strap works it's way down and falls down around my eyes... every time (path of least resistance). Loosening it is generally the answer for mine, so it stays near the top of my head. Not sure if same applies with yours or not. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey stupid question, did you try pulling your hair up and through so that the strap would get to the back of your head and your hair would be over it?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's nowhere near that long, Galactus. But a good idea.

SS, the Nuance has the 2 strap headgear, too. One goes across the top and another goes around the back. Although really, the top strap is attached to the other one but you get the idea.

It woke me several times last night and the last time, I couldn't go back to sleep. When I put it on, it doesn't feel that tight but during the night, when I put it back on, it does feel tight. Maybe my skull grows or something. Aliens?

I'm going to try loosening it a little to see if that works. If not, I'll try duct tape.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
You know I find my pro headgear loosens and tightens by itself as well. I had thought I was imagining it but my wife has pointed out that at times I leave it higher or lower on the back of my head and that the size of my head varies in the back as it gets down to my neck where my hairline is. So depending on where and how far back I pull the bottom strap depends on how tight or loose I have to make the strap. And last night I woke up with my mask alongside me blowing full blast. Apparently as I moved around I unhooked the velcro and came off my face. I still can't figure out how I did it.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk and I believe in aliens. I am so going to cover my machine in aluminuminm foil.

I'm going to loosen it a little tonight. If/when I get to bed. Working on a project that I hope to get done tomorrow. But I keep drifting away to the interwebz or to play a game....
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2014, 10:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Zonk and I believe in aliens. I am so going to cover my machine in aluminuminm foil.

I believe you and Zonk are aliens. Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's just a rumor we will neither deny nor accept.

As for changing the strap, it worked rather well in terms of keeping the strap in place. However, I got the Elbow Alarm twice because the mask was leaking. Tonight I'll try again, tightening it up just a smidgen until I find the sweet spot.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2014, 07:42 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It's nowhere near that long, Galactus. But a good idea.

SS, the Nuance has the 2 strap headgear, too. One goes across the top and another goes around the back. Although really, the top strap is attached to the other one but you get the idea.

It woke me several times last night and the last time, I couldn't go back to sleep. When I put it on, it doesn't feel that tight but during the night, when I put it back on, it does feel tight. Maybe my skull grows or something. Aliens?

I'm going to try loosening it a little to see if that works. If not, I'll try duct tape.

Or maybe super glue! Dielaughing

Oops I forgot, maybe super glue does not work for aliens. Dont-know

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 15 475 7 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 335 Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,822 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 283 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 203 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,476 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,529 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.