Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nuance vs Airfit
RE: Nuance vs Airfit
I have been using the Swift FX and have had good results.

Tonight I am trying out the AirFit P10 for the first time. Really looking forward to it and expecting big things.
I was sold on it after all the excellent recommendation's from the good people on this site.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking forward to your report on the P10.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I've STILL not gotten mine yet. I called him Thursday. Dang thing better get here tomorrow.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Finally got the Airfit yesterday. Smallest boxed mask I've ever seen!

Not impressed with the headgear. It really smashes my nose. It was sore this morning. I've NEVER had a sore nose from headgear before. It hurt where it was wrinkled just past, well, I guess it's the "bulb" of the nose. I have very sensitive skin, though.

I could not breathe out against it when I first tried it. Had to keep taking it off. I have the EPR at 2 but I don't want to raise it. It was extremely difficult and I'm glad I tried it first rather than waiting until I was going to bed. Sitting up trying on the pillow sizes, the small seemed to fit the best. But of course, when it was quieter at night, the small whistled with each breath so I changed to the medium. While the nose piece is easy as heck to put in, it's not easy to put in while in the dark. I had to go out to the living room and turn on the light. Then had to get my glasses to make sure I had it right side up. Getting old stinks.

I got the Elbow Alarm twice because the mask had come off. Same problem with the Nuance: the back strap doesn't stay in place. And since the Airfit's headgear is soooo minimalistic, there was nothing else to hold it on.

Going to give it another try of course, probably several nights. But I don't have high hopes for this mask.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure that the "bulb of the nose" is clear to me. To me the bulb would be the front area, including the tip from the nostrils out and around to the top.

My P10 doesn't touch out there at all.

The little platform with the exhaust that holds the headgear (and the pillows) out to the sides puts the ends of the headgear out beyond the nose for me.

Interesting about the trouble breathing out -- I never noticed anything like that. Not on EPR 3, nor 0, nor 1. (Never tried 2.) At about 8-14 but most of the time below 9 or 10 to 13.

If the headgear is pulling the mask too hard then STRETCH THE @#$% out of it -- they claim this is the way to adjust it larger. (I haven't tried it though.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have just written my first four nights review of the Airfit P10 on the "Just got the new Airfit P10" site.
Paula I'm not sure of what you mean when you say about hurting the bulb of your nose.
My main problem has been with leaks. I think the mask is very comfortable though.
Something very simple has been pointed out to me so I am hoping for less leaks tonight. Fingers crossed.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,

For the exhalation, the tech at my sleep centre said the same thing. When I trialed the mask, I didn't have that issue in normal use, but found if one nostril was congested then I had that issue (and also then got the whistling) until I moved up to the Large pillow, which solved both issues. Although, the Large was not as comfortable and didn't stay in place quite as well as the Medium.

For putting it on in the dark, there is a smooth side that can let you know which way is up. I forget which one, but there is a video on the ResMed site that will show you (I don't have the mask anymore or I would check).
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that while I CAN put the mask on in the dark, my experience says it is much more effective to put it own in front of the mirror (with some light.)

By setting the pillows VERY carefully, ensuring the headgear is centered, and LEAVING it alone all night my mask practically "disappears" and sometimes on awakening it's not even clear it's still on or the air is still pumping -- but it always is.

It's only takes me about 20 seconds to get the mask on 'perfectly' so it seem worth the small effort.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 04:06 PM)herbm Wrote: I forgot to mention that while I CAN put the mask on in the dark, my experience says it is much more effective to put it own in front of the mirror (with some light.)

By setting the pillows VERY carefully, ensuring the headgear is centered, and LEAVING it alone all night my mask practically "disappears" and sometimes on awakening it's not even clear it's still on or the air is still pumping -- but it always is.

It's only takes me about 20 seconds to get the mask on 'perfectly' so it seem worth the small effort.

Herb, I just followed your instructions from the other site while I am sitting here and they seemed to work so will give it a go tonight and hopefully I will have success.
It was the best seal I have had so far, and I was able to get it so easily.
I hope I can do it again tonight.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the tip of my nose above the nostrils. The mask pulls so tight, my nose wrinkles like I am playing "piggy".

Last night I did stretch the @#$% out of it and it wasn't as bad but it is still coming off my head. But last night's sleep was really off kilter (I stayed up all night and am going on just a few hours worth of sleep) so I'm going to give it another go tonight.

As for the whistling, I had a set of pillows from the Swift LT that did that. The medium, the one that fit the best, whistled horribly and I had to use the small and switch to the large if I was congested. The next set of pillows, the medium didn't whistle. No clue why or why not.

I'm still having problems breathing out. The same thing happened when I switched from the Breeze to the Swift LT. I had to put the EPR on 3 for a while. Even then, it was several months before I got used to it and could fall asleep without taking the mask off to breathe a few times. Eventually, I put it on 2. Going from the Swift LT to the Nuance, I didn't notice any problems so I'm surprised I have it when this one.

After tonight, I'll take a look at the data and see what the numbers are.

Overall, this is a super lightweight mask. I just don't like the headgear. I'm not fond of the Nuance Pro headgear, either. I'm so picky! Rolleyes
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,456 03-17-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,783 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 947 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,078 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,324 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.