Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] O2 Check Valve
O2 Check Valve
I induce 2LPM of O2 from a concentrator into my xPAP stream with a Tee on the output of my H5i humidifier. Sometimes, even though I have several labels to remind me, I forget to turn on the concentrator.

I really need a check valve in the O2 line to prevent air from the xPAP, which contains moisture, from flowing upstream to the concentrator.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I need one with the standard O2 tubing barbs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: O2 Check Valve
This should do it:

[Image: 8-dcv-double-check-valve-backflow-preventer-2.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the puppies...
[Image: ChloeampPrecious8-25-14.jpg]
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Google smartproducts dot com and take a look at their model #502 check valve. I didn't go any further to see about pricing and shipping but that'll give you some idea what's available. Also check with your local O2 and cannula supplier to see what they suggest. No doubt cheaper locally if you have such.

snippet:

Model #502
Barbed - 1/8"

Fits Tubing I.D.
1/8" (3.18mm)

Body Materials
Polypropylene, PVDF, Polycarbonate, Ultem®

O-ring Materials
Buna-N, EPDM, Viton®, Silicone, Fluorosilicone

Spring Pressure
0.09 - 20 PSI

Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3 liters of O2. I place the T between the heated tube and the short mask tube.
Since I never forget to turn on the concentrator, it never occurred to me to use a check valve.
Besides I don't think any moisture could fit in that tiny 1/8 tubing.
What would happen if we simply put the humidifier jar back in the circuit on the concentrator.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics makes a check valve for this, dont know about the barbs, their part # is 302418 runs about $ 16.50
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a backflow valve that goes in the 22mm hose between the humidifier and the O2 Tee.
It's to prevent buildup of O2 inside the xPAP machine if the concentrator is on; but the xPAP is off.

Standard O2 fittings are 1/4" barb. The barb just keeps the hose from slipping off easily.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 08:07 PM)justMongo Wrote: That's a backflow valve that goes in the 22mm hose between the humidifier and the O2 Tee.
It's to prevent buildup of O2 inside the xPAP machine if the concentrator is on; but the xPAP is off.

Standard O2 fittings are 1/4" barb. The barb just keeps the hose from slipping off easily.

I believe you are right, and that part prevents oxygen from going into the CPAP blower, not prevent CPAP air from flowing back up the oxygen tube.

Is backflow into the concentrator a problem? I don't know if air can run backwards up the O2 tube into the concentrator. Maybe you could put your mouth on the end of the O2 tube with the power off and see if you can gently blow air back up the hose. Maybe the mechanism of the O2 converter doesn't allow backflow like that.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 10:27 PM)archangle Wrote: I believe you are right, and that part prevents oxygen from going into the CPAP blower, not prevent CPAP air from flowing back up the oxygen tube.

Is backflow into the concentrator a problem? I don't know if air can run backwards up the O2 tube into the concentrator. Maybe you could put your mouth on the end of the O2 tube with the power off and see if you can gently blow air back up the hose. Maybe the mechanism of the O2 converter doesn't allow backflow like that.
There is no problem with back flow to the concentrator when the concentrator is on. It's a constant flow device that will push the set flow against a pressure as high as 5 PSI.

My concern is when I forget to turn on the O2 even though I have several reminder labels.

There might be a check valve in the concentrator; but I cannot find an internal diagram. Best I can find is how to disassemble and change the mirco particle filter. Looks like the oxygen purity sensors are near the output with no check valve.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 11:09 PM)justMongo Wrote: There is no problem with back flow to the concentrator when the concentrator is on. It's a constant flow device that will push the set flow against a pressure as high as 5 PSI.

My concern is when I forget to turn on the O2 even though I have several reminder labels.

There might be a check valve in the concentrator; but I cannot find an internal diagram. Best I can find is how to disassemble and change the mirco particle filter. Looks like the oxygen purity sensors are near the output with no check valve.

Even if there isn't a "check" valve, I think there are positive displacement pumps in there that probably won't let air flow backwards, but there might be some other path for airflow. Try blowing into the hose and seeing if you feel air flowing backwards.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 174 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,429 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
Question 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data? FL00D 4 1,030 10-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 402 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea Pierrec83 2 402 09-09-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: jwest
Wink Check these numbers out! Daveman 2 517 06-08-2023, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Daveman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.