Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Oh no... another thread about filters.
Question 
Oh no... another thread about filters.
So my machine just arrived today and is waiting for me when I get home. I had ordered some spare filters from the supplier to go with it but I just realized that they are 'generic' and not from ResMed.

1. Has anyone noticed any difference in the effectiveness of the generic filters as compared to the OEM ones?

I ordered both hypoallergenic ones and standard ones, but after digging into some threads here I learned that the S9 machines don't take two filters. With the ResMed S9 Autoset it's either the standard OR the hypoallergenic. That's different than some machines, like the Respironics, which are designed for two filters. (Just thought I'd reiterate for the sake of others that also didn't know!)

2. Do the hypoallergenic filters reduce the life of the machine due to airflow restriction, and are they compatible with the thinner ResMed SlimLine and ClimateLine tubes? Do they affect treatment or output pressure at the mask?

As always, many thanks! Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oh no... another thread about filters.
While this does not directly answer your question, I believe you'll understand my position: I've accumulated a stock-pile of filters over the years, so now I just cut the old, unused filters down to size so they go in my S9 and I change them out every month. As far as I can tell, a filter is a filter as long as it cleans the air!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ive used both types, hypo filters collects more rubbish, get dirty sooner and require replacement more often than standard filter

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 04:20 PM)zonk Wrote: Ive used both types, hypo filters collects more rubbish, get dirty sooner and require replacement more often than standard filter

Keep in mind that the extra rubbish/dirt collected by hypo filters represents stuff that would have been passed through and breathed in when using standard filters.

I do like how Respironics handles it. They have an outer washable coarse filter, then an inner disposable fine filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the generic hypos. I think the ones I buy are every bit as good as OEM and they are much cheaper. I have some OEM too, side by side comparison - can't tell them apart under magnifying glass. Like Zonk said, hypos get discolored and dirty more quickly - leads me to believe they are working better, but need to be changed more often. I use them, but it probably doesn't make that much difference - after all it's all the same air you're breathing when the mask is off. Filters are mainly for the machine. Your body can clear dust out with mucus - the machine doesn't have any way to rid itself of the dust that collects inside.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2013, 05:50 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: ... after all it's all the same air you're breathing when the mask is off.

Not necessarily, depending on where your machine is located. If you put it on the floor, the intake will be subjected to a significantly more dusty environment than what you normally breathe, unless you are also lying on the floor. Even a night stand will have a surface that can/will accumulate settling dust.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that the 'magical filtering material' is available in bulk sheets 3' X 4' for just a few dollars.
I can cut my own out with a pair of scissors and also wash them until they become unusable.
There is no reason to pay $6 for more for a dinky piece of plastic foam.

I don't mind people making a profit but selling a cheap item at horrendous markup is annoying.

Cheers!
And don't take any wooden nickles!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I say the filters are there to protect the machine, not the user. Look at how much crud builds up on the inside of a computer near the fan and imagine that inside your CPAP.

[Image: really-dirty-heatsink-300x225.jpg]

However, the user does also benefit from the cleaner air.

One of the paradoxical things about filters is that dirty ones often clean better than clean ones. The dust built up on the surface actually filters out more dust.

The downside is that the pressure drop gets worse when dirty.

Some people have reported heat damage to the CPAP machines if they let the machines get too dirty and use them too long. In particular, this has been a problem with Respironics white filters when they are left in for many months.

ResMed says to change S9 filters every 6 months.

I'm a little concerned about 3rd part filters. There is quite a wide range of filters in terms of particle size, dirt holding capacity, airflow restriction, and even potential for germ growth. Also, some filter material may shed some fibers of the filter material into the airstream. Filters intended for something like a computer may not be appropriate for human breathing air.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 06:24 PM)archangle Wrote: I'm a little concerned about 3rd part filters. There is quite a wide range of filters in terms of particle size, dirt holding capacity, airflow restriction, and even potential for germ growth. Also, some filter material may shed some fibers of the filter material into the airstream. Filters intended for something like a computer may not be appropriate for human breathing air.

I have no more faith in Resmed OEM filters than third party filters. I doubt they did much scientific testing when they selected the material they use.

Your comment about dirty filters doing a better job than clean ones is a good point. But does a really dirty filter actually lower the pressure? Wouldn't the machine compensate? I assume the machine has a pressure sensor that the software responds to in order to adjust the motor speed, but I have no clue where it might be located.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do the hypoallergenic filters have any electrostatic properties like furnace filters do for attracting airborne particles (in addition to passively trapping them)?

(06-23-2013, 08:25 PM)JJJ Wrote: Your comment about dirty filters doing a better job than clean ones is a good point. But does a really dirty filter actually lower the pressure? Wouldn't the machine compensate? I assume the machine has a pressure sensor that the software responds to in order to adjust the motor speed, but I have no clue where it might be located.

One thing's for sure: the motor has to work harder to get air through a dirty filter. When we bought our house the furnace had been damaged because the previous owners thought it was wise to stack multiple filters.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 96 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 970 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,596 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.