Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
RE: Oral Appliance NOT An Effective Treatment [Swedish Study]
Thanks Thanks to the person who posted the research article. Yes, this is only one article...there are many more and one should not be viewed in isolation.

One thing they didn't evaluate was sleeping partner quality of life. I know my Somnodent G2 oral appliance has made me a much nicer person to sleep beside- much quieter, less snoring.

I have mild sleep apnea, mostly a noise issue! So, I didn't seek out assessment and the device for me as much as for my husband. I can't say I felt more rested because that wasn't the main issue.

Now that I am 3 days without my device (had to go for repair as a wing cracked and needs to be re-glued), I'm on the couch and notice a sore throat from all my snoring!!!

Nice to find this group. I have many friends who use Apnea devices (mostly CPAP), and some who are exploring the oral device option too.
09-17-2015 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JimZZZ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: ResMed H5i (not using)
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CareFusion PureSom Ultra Chinstrap

Sex: Male

RE: Oral Appliance NOT An Effective Treatment [Swedish Study]
(08-15-2015 10:41 AM)sonicboom Wrote:  There is also the very real possibility of developing secondary medical issues with an appliance such as clicking of the jaw or TMJ/TMD unlike xPAP.
I abandoned my cpap 31/2 months ago in favor of a mandibular advancement splint. Although it was not verified by a full sleep study, the splint seemed effective as demonstrated by an overnight oximetry test.
However...I have developed a painful temporal mandibular disorder (TMD) which makes eating a painful experience. My jaw has moved forward and to the left resulting in misaligned teeth and pain in the jaw hinge. I visited another dentist today and was told that if I continue using the splint, I may permanently misalign my jaw. He also told me that opening the airway by advancing the jaw will allow the soft tissue which is blocking the airway to grow in size making it necessary to increase the advancement.
So...in my case, the advancement splint is not an effective approach. I am returning to my trusty cpap tonight.
12-16-2015 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sleep latency -study results Dagmar 1 95 12-06-2016 10:04 PM
Last Post: chill
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 324 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 241 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 456 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 334 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 373 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  xpap treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension- right ventricular dysfunction 0rangebear 0 123 11-12-2016 06:10 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear