Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Oral Appliance NOT An Effective Treatment [Swedish Study]
RE: Oral Appliance NOT An Effective Treatment [Swedish Study]
Thanks Thanks to the person who posted the research article. Yes, this is only one article...there are many more and one should not be viewed in isolation.

One thing they didn't evaluate was sleeping partner quality of life. I know my Somnodent G2 oral appliance has made me a much nicer person to sleep beside- much quieter, less snoring.

I have mild sleep apnea, mostly a noise issue! So, I didn't seek out assessment and the device for me as much as for my husband. I can't say I felt more rested because that wasn't the main issue.

Now that I am 3 days without my device (had to go for repair as a wing cracked and needs to be re-glued), I'm on the couch and notice a sore throat from all my snoring!!!

Nice to find this group. I have many friends who use Apnea devices (mostly CPAP), and some who are exploring the oral device option too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2015, 10:41 AM)sonicboom Wrote: There is also the very real possibility of developing secondary medical issues with an appliance such as clicking of the jaw or TMJ/TMD unlike xPAP.
I abandoned my cpap 31/2 months ago in favor of a mandibular advancement splint. Although it was not verified by a full sleep study, the splint seemed effective as demonstrated by an overnight oximetry test.
However...I have developed a painful temporal mandibular disorder (TMD) which makes eating a painful experience. My jaw has moved forward and to the left resulting in misaligned teeth and pain in the jaw hinge. I visited another dentist today and was told that if I continue using the splint, I may permanently misalign my jaw. He also told me that opening the airway by advancing the jaw will allow the soft tissue which is blocking the airway to grow in size making it necessary to increase the advancement.
So...in my case, the advancement splint is not an effective approach. I am returning to my trusty cpap tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
My experience is with the Somnodent appliance vs. Resmed APAP. I have moderate sleep apnea.  Tests before and after the dental appliance show it effective in my case.

INDICATIONS:

Evaluation of ORAL APPLIANCE for treatment of moderate obstructive sleep apnea.
This overnight portable respiratory monitoring was performed while using oral
appliance. Parameters monitored included heart rate, airflow, respiratory effort,
oximetry, and snoring.
RESPIRATION:
Severe snoring was noted. The patient had rare obstructive hypopneas, with
desaturation to approximately 92%. The apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) = 0.9, which is
normal.
INTERPRETATION:
1) While using oral appliance, no evidence of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (ICD-10
G47.33). Compared to AHI = 20 on 1/13/2016, apnea is effectively treated by
oral appliance.

My results don't show a back to back test of APAP vs. Somnomed but AHI of 0.9 with the appliance shows me it works.  My test was no CPAP/APAP vs. the appliance and it brings my AHI to normal range.

Hope this helps someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 1 255 19 minutes ago
Last Post: bsroberts
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 6 116 Yesterday, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 173 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 151 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,408 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 128 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 235 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.