Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Oximeter important re: DreamStation CPAP Pro?
Oximeter important re: DreamStation CPAP Pro?
I received my first CPAP device today (first ever) which is the Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro with heated tube and heated humidifier and couldn't find any mention anywhere of an oximeter so unless it's integrated in the CPAP machine and/or mask my provider didn't include one.

I noticed SleepyHead supports importation of Oximeter data but it is implied that this data is not on the SD card.

My question is, is the Oximeter some sort of addon device? And if so is it normal for it to not be supplied with CPAP devices? They seem to have given me the hook up on everything else: heated tube and a really new machine (sticker says it was manufactured just 2 weeks ago).

Is this the same sort of thing that wraps around your finger while you sleep? Or some sort of integrated sensor in the mask?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximeter important re: DreamStation CPAP Pro?
It is not related to the CPAP machine. Some of us have one that we wear to check our levels. Some more information:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board Wrz77,
Suppliers/DME's do not supply give you oximeters along with CPAP machines.

Most here end of buying an oximeter from Supplier #19 (See supplier list at top of page) or sometimes Amazon carries them cheaper.

You can purchase one that clips to finger or wrist. It would have to say it's an overnight recording oximeter.
It comes with software, and can be downloaded to Sleepyhead.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oximeter important DreamStation CPAP Pro?
(04-26-2016, 02:13 PM)Wrz77 Wrote: I received my first CPAP device today (first ever) which is the Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro with heated tube and heated humidifier and couldn't find any mention anywhere of an oximeter so unless it's integrated in the CPAP machine and/or mask my provider didn't include one.

I noticed SleepyHead supports importation of Oximeter data but it is implied that this data is not on the SD card.

My question is, is the Oximeter some sort of addon device? And if so is it normal for it to not be supplied with CPAP devices? They seem to have given me the hook up on everything else: heated tube and a really new machine (sticker says it was manufactured just 2 weeks ago).

Is this the same sort of thing that wraps around your finger while you sleep? Or some sort of integrated sensor in the mask?

Thanks.

Most CPAP machines can have an o2 meter but none that I know of come with it and for my machine it is as expensive as the machine, plus you have to be on oxygen to get one and have insurance pay for it. At least this is what I found.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh ok looks like the ones supported by SleepyHead are much cheaper than I had assumed so I'll get one since I like having data. I figured as with all medical equipment it would be solidly over 3 digit territory.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 02:47 PM)Wrz77 Wrote: Oh ok looks like the ones supported by SleepyHead are much cheaper than I had assumed so I'll get one since I like having data. I figured as with all medical equipment it would be solidly over 3 digit territory.

About $100.00 for a wrist oximeter.
Some here have said that they are more comfortable that the ones that clip to finger.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 02:13 PM)Wrz77 Wrote: I received my first CPAP device today (first ever) which is the Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro with heated tube and heated humidifier and couldn't find any mention anywhere of an oximeter so unless it's integrated in the CPAP machine and/or mask my provider didn't include one.

the "official plugs into the cpap via an extra wire to get tangled up in" oximeters are generally around 1000$ once you get all the parts.

far far cheaper to get a nice wrist mounted one (no wires to get strangled by) like the CMS50I, which can be had for under 100$
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,899 11 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 64 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 127 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 134 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 659 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 758 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.