Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] P's fun with FFM
RE: P's fun with FFM
(12-14-2014, 12:30 AM)Galactus Wrote: I have to say I can't imagine how you guys and gals do it with the ffm. I could barely bear the nasal mask that I was initially using, I hate to say I don't know if I could be compliant with an ffm but just the thought of having to use one makes me feel like I'd be buried alive.

How do you even sleep on your side and not have it push against your face and leak? I'm sitting here thought typing and the walls are getting closer and closer....

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. There's a lot of room inside there. I feel less crowded wearing a FFM than I do wearing a nasal pillow w/ headgear and a chinstrap or the PAPcap.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, called Bless His Stoopid Heart Ron and left a message. I asked for the FlexiFit 432. I also asked if he could go ahead and send me the next one so we could get this over with. I asked for the Simplus.

If these two don't work and continue to leak into my eyes, I'll give up and return to the chin strap and nasal pillow set up. Looking at last night's data, I had no leaks w/ the chin strap. Tomorrow I'll go without it and see how that is. I went the night before without it but didn't have the freakin' card in. Gah, I hate ResMed sometimes.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula the leak into your eyes thing. Please note when and if you try the Simplus it will ride a bit lower on your nose by design, than the Mirage etc. If you position like a Mirage itll be high on you nose bridge to seal well. Let that roll cushion do its thing. The top of the mask frame really shouldnt even touch your forehead though the straps are cushy enough to pad it if it happens too at some point.

You could always cut a mask liner out of a tshirt and that will stop any percieved leaking into your eyes. I dont use em. Though I read about em and cut my own out of curiosity loosened the mask at the top until it couldnt help but seep air to my eyes the put the mask liner in and though I know it had to seeping air there I couldnt feel it at all.

I weird that way. I like to take something that is working perfectly mess it up on purpose and then try the stuff they say will fix it LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the tshirt thing with two different shirts. I cried as I cut them up, too!

The first was too thick and did nothing. The second was a well worn, well loved shirt (but I was no longer allowed to wear it in public). I just could not get it to be without wrinkles so it leaked, too. The Remzzz must be somewhere inbetween.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula the trick to the tshirt thing is the same as the Remzzz. You need a min of 1/4inch outside and cut a small hole in the center. enough to get your nose thru but not enough open up both mouth and nose. Then once the mask is on go all around the edge and stretch you homemade liner all around until the hole opens up enough for your mouth and nose.

I goofed that part up a few times trying to cut the liner to fit the seal with some to spare inside and out and had the wrinkling bunching thing too. But when you cut a small hole in the center a bit bigger than your nose but not much and stretch it the wrinkles disappear and the excess outside the mask curls forward away from your eyes and face so you dont have the material against your face and eyes outside the mask.

Nothing works for everyone but that method worked for me very well when I tried it.

But like I said with the Simplus I dont need it LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
It is also a good idea to use a man's white cotton undershirt-type T-shirt.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 12:30 AM)Galactus Wrote: I have to say I can't imagine how you guys and gals do it with the ffm. I could barely bear the nasal mask that I was initially using, I hate to say I don't know if I could be compliant with an ffm but just the thought of having to use one makes me feel like I'd be buried alive.

How do you even sleep on your side and not have it push against your face and leak? I'm sitting here thought typing and the walls are getting closer and closer....

Hi Galactus,
I *MUST* sleep on my side, or I get lots of nasty clusters, so I wear a backpack stuffed with light but lumpy items. To deal with the mask, I just roll my head pillow in half, and sleep with the mask sort of "hanging" over the edge of the pillow. I can sleep on either side, and the same approach works for the mask.

BTW, I am using Remzzz liners with the Simplus, and that all works very well too. I don't subscribe to the "Use it once and throw it away" method either. I use each liner several times, then they get laundered in a net bag. I'm on the 3rd or 4th round for some of these liners, still working fine.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a cpap newbie. Got Airfit F10 as my first mask. I got a Quattro Air a few weeks ago. I wear the Quattro Air and F10 alternately. I am a side sleeper. I use a pretty hard memory foam pillow from Costco. Somehow, I never have to worry about the pillow shifting my F10 or Quattro Air. I wear the mask loose. So loose that the bottom straps actually have some play in them. I use a DIY mask liner too.

I put the mask on, lie down. Switch on the machine, lift the mask up a bit to let the cushion inflate. I then dig my mask into the pillow on both sides, to make sure they will not leak. And they don't. Somehow the air cushion flexes and maintains the seal. I am ultra impressed by the physics behind this. My leak no. on SH, over the last 80+ days have been:

Average: 0.95L/min
95%: 3L/min
% over Threshold: 0.94%

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to put Ghost out of my misery and tried the Simplus next, skipping over the Flexifit. I picked it up yesterday morning, had a nap with it, then slept last night with it.

While the leaks aren't bad, about the same as the Air, I have to tighten it down a lot to get them to stop. Then I have to tighten it further because the mask literally floats on my face. As in it moves kind of floats. If I don't tighten it, I lay there and it will travel about. Kinda funny, kinda creepy. And as it moves, it starts leaking again. I'm using the small and wondering if I need the medium? Most of the leaks are into my eyes which is what I expected when I started this fun. But I'm afraid the medium would just make it worse. Not sure.

The other problem is my AHI was 8.54 for last night. I'm thinking it is because the air blows my mouth open which pushes my tongue back. I wake up with my mouth dry dry dry, cheeks puffed out in the breeze, and my tongue all the way back. It is not because I am snoring with my mouth open, that's not something I have ever done.

And to add, I was exhausted last night. I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep plus in a lot of pain. In addition to the exhaustion, I had also taken a Vicodin. Normally, I don't see a rise with this medication. I see prolonged sleep, like the 12hrs I just got, but not the increase in AHI. But it could be the combination of the three (tired, pain, drugged) added with the open mouth dry thing increased the AHI a freakin' amount.

Nap:

Night:

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula

My advice on FFMs is to try the Quattro FX. Because it doesn't have a forehead rest, it's less prone to leaks than the Quattro Air.

The F10 also doesn't have a forehead rest, but (in my experience) has to be adjusted with greater care than the Quatro FX.

Although I like the Quattro FX, I prefer to use the F10 because it's lighter and the mask has only three parts which makes it easier to clean.

I've found both to be better than the Quattro Air.

One advantage of the F10 is that the mask and elbow are the same as, and interchangeable with, the Quattro Air.

So if you got an F10, you'd be able to use the cushion and elbow from the Air as spares.

The headgear on the Quattro FX and F10 are different from the one on the Quattro Air.

Re swallowed air, I only very occasionally get that and don't therefore think it's endemic to FFMs.

Good luck with your search for a FFM that works for you.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.