Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] P's fun with FFM
RE: P's fun with FFM
I feel so liberated LOL. Paula me nor the wife ever had the problems your speaking of with the Simplus. It has a particular way to adjust it to start with and if you dont do it in that sequence it does sort of screw it up. "Dont ask how I know" LOL.

Adjust the top straps over the head until the upper side straps are running a straight line back just over the ears. Then adjust the top straps just enough to stablize the top of mask on your nose. The upper support of the frame doesnt need to touch your forehead. Once set up I can stick my finger between my forhead and that upper forehead support.

Then adjust the bottom straps. I did it like I would any other FFM and it did everything you just said. Then went back and adjusted it the way the manual said and it fixed all that.

That mask is much more likely to leak from being over tightened than any FFM ive had or used. Normally at a max of 18 with no leaks my bottom straps and my wifes I can run a finger thru.

It rides lower than most FFM and if you tighten enough on the top to fully compress that roll fit on the top of the cushion youll lever the bottom off your face which makes you try to tighten there to stop leaks.

May not work for you but try going looser instead of tighter and readjusting from scratch from the top over the head straps down if you havent already.

Hope it solves your problem
Post Reply Post Reply
Kadenz, the Air actually didn't leak that bad, but it left tender spots that hurt all day. I tried it for two nights and it took several days more for the tender spots to stop hurting. I think I've been told the F10 will hurt in about the same places.

Ghost, I knew there was something about that top strap but I couldn't remember what I was supposed to do. So I left it loose and tightened the rest. I'm going to do what you suggest and give it another go. I remembered you said it was going to sit lower and that's what I kept trying to get it to do but the dang thing had a mind of its own!

The Simplus is very comfortable and not a sore place, despite how tight I made it to keep it from floating around. And I just asked the Elbow Alarm about the noise level and got a big smile. She said it was very quiet and I'm allowed to keep this one. First time I got THAT response during this!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 05:20 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Kadenz, the Air actually didn't leak that bad, but it left tender spots that hurt all day. I tried it for two nights and it took several days more for the tender spots to stop hurting. I think I've been told the F10 will hurt in about the same places.

Ghost, I knew there was something about that top strap but I couldn't remember what I was supposed to do. So I left it loose and tightened the rest. I'm going to do what you suggest and give it another go. I remembered you said it was going to sit lower and that's what I kept trying to get it to do but the dang thing had a mind of its own!

The Simplus is very comfortable and not a sore place, despite how tight I made it to keep it from floating around. And I just asked the Elbow Alarm about the noise level and got a big smile. She said it was very quiet and I'm allowed to keep this one. First time I got THAT response during this!

Well at least its got one plus so far LOL. Like I said you want to put the mask on then adjust the over the head strap so that the top side straps go straight back from the mask frame upper support, not pulling up on them or letting them fall and droop.

The roll fit on top will once you get the top strap tension just enough to stablize that upper support and compressed just little bit adjust itself to your nose.

The bottom straps just snug to loose. Nothing like as tight as a Quartro mirage or air.

The thing ive found with it even on my side is if it does get pushed enough which takes quite a bit of pushing to get it to leak just touching it at the leak will stop the leak. Though it seldom leaks. And I have a full beard and mustache with a small nose bridge.

Hope you get it and it works. Its one of the few masks ive tried that ive woken up not realizing it was on my face for a second.Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
No, I just tried it. Set it to straight CPAP @18. Leaks like a big fart at the bottom unless I tighten it down really tight.

I think I figured out why, though. The air pushes my face and elongates my mouth, making my lips stretch. My lips then are wider than the mask seal and it leaks. If I purse my lips like I'm kissing, no leaks, or at least minimal. If I close my jaw but open my lips so my mouth fills with air, it seals the sides and the leaks stop.

But I'm afraid a Medium would be too big at the nose and leak there. This mask has minimal leaks into my eyes! I'm pleased about that. The others have leaked all over.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula the same mask frame fits all the size cushions from small to large. It sounds like you may need a medium cushion if air pushes your mouth to wide as when my machine would run up to 18 the same thing would happen but since the size was correct it didnt push the corners of my mouth past the seal.

I would think my mouth would be worse for that since I only have six teeth left in my head LOL.

Also once your used to the ffm you normally sleep with your mouth shut anyway. It just doesnt leak air thru your lips since there is pressure there to keep them shut.

Bottom line I think you probably need a medium size cushion for your mask frame.

One more thought. In the FFM I learned to use nasal because it tended to keep my mouth shut and I breathed thru my nose anyway. Just if my lips happened to leak a bit it was no big deal until I learned the tongue trick and a chin strap. Now I use an ESON but with all the FFM my mouth was 99 percent of the time closed anyway.

So where you only have a problem with lip leaking after usiing pillows forever the mouth open in FFM asleep probably wont even occur.
Post Reply Post Reply
Second night with the Simplus went much better. No drugs and not as tired so AHI is down. Not where it normally is but getting there. I also didn't wake up as much with my mouth open so either. I don't think I slept through them because my mouth didn't have that gawd awful taste in it like it had yesterday.

I'm still going to try to get a medium to see if it fits better.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I do think this would be a great thread for newbies to follow so they can see what you must sometimes go through in order to find a good mask.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I was thinking when I started it. Part "this is how it can go" but mostly "please help me!".
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,

I am happy that you are getting an encouraging result.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2014, 07:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That's what I was thinking when I started it. Part "this is how it can go" but mostly "please help me!".

That's me as well - depending the percentage of each may change on desperate I am. Plus, the third part is writing it out helps me think through a process.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.