Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] P30I Headgear rubbing bald spots?
P30I Headgear rubbing bald spots?
I am relatively new to BiPAP therapy and I LOVE the P30I mask.  It is so comfortable, seals well, and my apnea is well controlled (at least according to my AHI).

My problem is that every morning when I wake up I have VERY noticeable "bald" spots where the rubber parts of the headgear are on my head.  I say "bald" in quotes because I don't think it's actually making my hair fall out...not YET anyway.  But my hair is already thinning on the sides and I'm worried that it will make it work.  I tried a thick headband but that just falls off, so I ordered a sleep cap from Amazon that has a satin-like lining, but it is still happening.  I love this mask but I don't think I'm willing to go bald for it.

Is it possible the headgear is just a size too small?  They fit me with a small size (even though nothing about me has ever been called "small") and when I asked them about it, they said if it's comfortable and my apnea numbers are good then it's fine.  But that was before I started noticing the balding spots where the rubber parts are.  Since the sleep cap doesn't help, is it possible that going up to a medium frame might help?

Also good to note that the mask SEEMS to fit perfectly well.  It's not too tight (I did need to loosen it just a smidge when I added the sleep cap to the mix), and it leaves no marks anywhere else on my head or face.  In fact, once I lay down for the night I usually forget I am even wearing it unless I need to scratch my nose and I get a leak or something.

I have considered trying out the Bleep mask, but I don't know if I want to ever go back to having a hose in front of me instead of on top of my head.  Do you guys think going up to a medium in the frame might help?  Or am I going to need to find a new mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: P30I Headgear rubbing bald spots?
You might want to try Supplier #31.  Something like this might help.
Although a little pricey.  If you're handy at sewing, you might be able to make something similar.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could definitely try something like that, but I have doubts it would help since the frame still does it with the sleep cap, so it's not JUST an issue with the silicon/rubber/whatever touching the hair. There has to be something else besides just friction.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried P30i and the headgear would slip around. If the junction of hose and headgear fits to far forward, the headgear is too small. If said junction is too far back, headgear is too large. If the junction is at the top of your head midway between ears and nose, then it's about right -- AFAIK. You may be able to google some pictures.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,855 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 141 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 302 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 332 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 315 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 547 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 499 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.