Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] PR S1
PR S1
Hi , I have been using a cpap for a couple years, then went to the bipap for the last 8 yrs, My 8 yr old machine died and I bought a used PR System One bipap Auto , I know how to set the unit, but I never had a auto or a system 1 before I put it in the Auto mode with bi-flex but not sure how it is suppose to work, as it seems like it just uses a ramp feature. ( I am not using the ramp bitton either) the longer I have it on the pressure goes up like in ramp mode I am sure it is just me not ever using a auto machine before. but if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.
Who ever said you cant teach an old dog a new trick lied , as I learn alot everyday hahaha

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR S1
I don't have a bipap machine but as I understand it the pressure changes. There is less pressure on the exhale than on the inhale. The machine automatically adjusts to your breathing patterns based on the data it constantly collects. Supposedly your machine can tell when the conditions are right for you to have an Hyponea event and will increase the pressure to avoid it.

Someone else who uses your machine will hopefully post if I'm off track, if you need to adjust your settings, or if what you are experience is normal for a bipap Auto machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, craig. I'm curious - when was the last time you saw a sleep dr/clinic to check on your required pressure settings? Most insurance companies (including Medicare) will spring for a new machine every five years. So, why a used machine?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could set the machine to do manual bilevel at the same pressure as your old machine.

Or set it to auto with a narrow pressure range around your old setting, and increase the range later if needed.

Auto doesn't always find the best pressure. That's why you have high and low auto pressure settings. If it's really "running away" to a too high pressure, lower the maximum auto pressure setting.

BTW, what model was your old machine?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.