Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] PR System One Humidifier
Gross 
PR System One Humidifier
I seem to have an over-active humidifier. On setting 1 it barely makes it through the night. On any setting higher than that, it will run dry. Has anyone else had that problem? Is there a setting in the BiPAP somewhere that I just didn't notice to turn down the heat?
Post Reply Post Reply
PR System One Humidifier
(05-22-2014, 11:47 PM)d1hartman Wrote: I seem to have an over-active humidifier. On setting 1 it barely makes it through the night. On any setting higher than that, it will run dry. Has anyone else had that problem? Is there a setting in the BiPAP somewhere that I just didn't notice to turn down the heat?

If you are leaking air out your mouth, that will cause you to use more water. Do you think you have mouth leaks? Is your mouth dry in the morning? Get the software, SleepyHead or Encore Basic, and look at your leak rates.

Do you know how to get into the clinician's menu? There is a "System One Humidification" setting that will make it do "smart" humidification and may use less water. That's usually turned on by default.

If the air in your room is dry or cold, that will increase your water usage, but I wouldn't think you'd run out on the 1 setting.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PR System One Humidifier
Hi d1hartman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd still like to know if it's possible to set the System one humidifier lower. The setup options only give me disable, off, 1, 2, 3, or 4. Even set on 1 I sometimes run out of water and/or have a hose full of water. I have a feeling it's a design flaw.

Lately I've been leaving the System One humidifier off, but with water in it, and using an old Fisher Paykel humidifier. At least with that one I can control the temperature better and don't run out of water, or wake up with a hose full.
Post Reply Post Reply
System One humidifier should go 0-5, not 4. 0 is no heat, max is 5. 1 should be applying just a small amount of heat.

Let it run for a few minutes with it set on 1. Then take the water tub out and feel the bottom. If it feels super hot to the touch, then I would guess either your machine or humidifier is malfunctioning. I've had a LOT of problems with the System One humidifiers where the actual problem is in the machine and not the humidifier.

But even at 5 in winter (dry air), many patients wouldn't use a full tub of water. So my guesses either that tub is going to be REALLY hot or you are experiencing a LOT of leaking with mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I almost never have enough water left in the tank of my system 1 humidifier to cover the metal heating plate. I have never measured the capacity of the prs1 tank or my previous H5i tank, but the H5i usually had a little water left in the morning. I have no idea how early I run out/how long I sleep without humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
The hotplate gets really hot even when set on 1, and sometimes I end up with water in the hose. I'm pretty sure I'm not leaking, because I wake up occasionally during the night and have a good seal, and no dryness unless I run out of water, or hear the hose gurgling which wakes me up also.

Bwexler seems to be having a similar problem, so I think it's in the machine itself. Maybe it's time to call my DME supplier...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I would call the DME you got it from.

If I had a patient come in with this situation I would:

1) Have you demonstrate the problem you are experiencing.

2) I would run your humidifier to another new machine to see if it gets superhot.

a) If yes, then it is a humidifer problem. Put the new humidifier on your machine and make sure it works fine.
b) If no, then it is likely a machine problem. Put your humidifier up to a new machine and make sure it is working properly.

If can't isolate the problem, exchange both humidifier and machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds like a problem of your humidifier, not the ones from Philips in general - I have not had that experience - with a half full tank, I still have water in my tank (not much, though) after a night at 4. At 1 it barely moves, maybe a quarter of the way down, in short proportionate to the heat settings.
While I am not running a BiPap machine, so far as I know all Philips humidifiers after a certain date are based on the same model and specs, so you should be getting similar mileage as I get.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your PRS1 is 60 series machine and using the heated tube, there 3 different levels, 70%, 80%, 90%
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,606 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,066 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.