Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help to Lower AHI
Need Help to Lower AHI
I recently has a home sleep study ans was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with 46.4 events per hour. I attempted to attach my sleep study but the PDF file is too large (1.54MB).  My lowest SpO2 was 71% and the average was 89%.  I purchased a Resmed Airsense10 autoset and set it a a range of 6-20 and EPR 2. My AHI the first night was 8.62. Because of the clustering of QAs I purchased a soft cervical collar. I also increased the min pressure to 8. In the subsequent 5 nights my AHI readings were between 4 and 5.8. In spite of the use of the cervical collar most of my OAs are still clustered. I would like to get my AHI consistently below 5 but am not sure where to go from here. Any help will be appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help to Loer AHI
You have up to about 25% Centrals, this means that we want to keep your max pressures down. I'm going to suggest a max of 14 possibly 13 later and see how that affectes them over all. In your case it is about finding a sweet spot that balances between central and obstructive apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response. Does use of EPR cause or prevent centrals? My current EPR setting is 2. Also, my wife says I change positions frequently while sleeping. What influence does that have on events?
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no absolute answer but EPR tends to increase Central Apneas.  

With CPAP Centrals tend to increase with higher pressure and higher range of pressure including EPR.  
Also, results frequently are consistently inconsistent meaning AHI tends to be all over the place.  CPAP (APAP) is not intended to treat Central/Complex/Mixed apneas.

Most of your Centrals are occurring near the peaks of pressure so we see how the balance looks after lowering pressure a bit and look for the sweet spot balancing between Obstructive and Central.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help to Lower AHI
I lowered the max pressure to 14 per your recommendation and my AHI increased to 7.2 last night per the readout on the machine. I can't post the graph now.

I have attached my sleep study. Hopefully that will be helpful.

.pdf   frank Sleep Srudy.pdf (Size: 299.03 KB / Downloads: 40)
Post Reply Post Reply
I kept my max presure at 14 and EPR at 2. I seem to be doing better but as you predicted, the results are inconsistent. I'm wondering if this is the best I can do with this machine. Do you have have any further suggestions. Here are some recent graphs. I'm quite comfortable with the pressure and don't think reducing EPR will bother me if that will help. I do feel much better than I did before getting this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are doing well 3 of the 4 nights with almost no Centrals and 3.4 AHI if you discount the Centrals.
And most importantly you are feeling good.

I would leave the settings alone but if you want to try something increase EPR to 3. If you get multiple days like your 7.42 with plenty of Centrals drop it to 2 which is working well. The increase may increase the Centrals but the other impact is that it could reduce Hypopneas and Flow Limits which would decrease your AHI without the Centrals. Like I said it is about creating a balance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,478 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,135 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 917 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 630 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,423 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Raise Lower pressure setting crmarks4 10 934 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.