Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Philips Auto BiPAP IPAP Initiation?
Philips Auto BiPAP IPAP Initiation?
Hello all. I just joined this great forum. Last week I got a new Philips Dreamstation Auto BiPAP (700X110) machine after 5 years of successful treatment using a ResMed S9 VPAP S BiPAP machine set to 12/8 with the P10 nasal pillow mask.

The old ResMed was easier for me to breath on because (I think) the pressure would stay at the EPAP level of 8 until I initiated inhaling when it would increase pressure to 12. So it felt like the machine was helping me to breath. Similar to scuba diving when sucking on the regulator mouthpiece results in a nice burst of air when you want it (which I like).

My new Philips Dreamstation Auto BiPAP (700X110) however seems to change pressures from EPAP (8 or so) to IPAP (12 or so) whenever it wants to irrespective of when I want to breath. This doesn't seem to be a problem when I am asleep but it is very aggravating when I first turn it on and am trying to go to sleep. It seems like I am fighting an un-synchronized machine to breath when I am trying to relax and go to sleep.

Is there a setting on the new Philips Auto BiPAP that will make my new machine increase PS to the #12 IPAP pressure when I initiate a breath?

I could be off base about what is actually happening, but this is what it feels like to me.

Thank you, Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Auto BiPAP IPAP Initiation?
Try turning off any flex setting see if that helps ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, you had good comfortable therapy on the Resmed S9 VPAP-S. Why didn't you get the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto or VPAP S? I know the medical people will tell you there is not difference, but there is a lot of difference. As you say, the Resmed follows your breathing, while the Respironics attempts to predict it. I have both machines and will never own the Philips. Among other things, the Resmed lets you set things like the inspiration minimum and maximum time as well as trigger and cycle sensitivity. Resmed uses Easy-Breathe which shapes the pressure changes, while Philips uses BiFlex. They are very different.

Have you considered complaining and asking for a change back to what works for you? Finally, an Auto bilevel under insurance would not have cost you any more than the fixed pressure machine. Had you been a member here before you got your replacement machine we would have advocated that you fight for the Resmed Vauto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SR,

I did not know about the differences between the ResMed and Philips breathing approach. I am not liking the Phillips very much.

I am also seeing more CAs reported than I saw with the ResMed. Not sure what is causing them, but think my mouth is opening more with the Philips so I bought one of those Dr Dakota Anti Snore cervical collars to see if I can keep my mouth shut and reduce the CAs. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

I will see if I can trade this one for a ResMed. What model do you recommend?

I am not sure if I need the Bi-Level but I do like the reduced EPAP pressure a lot (12 IPAP/8 EPAP). I felt like I was drowning in air when I tried straight CPAP during my titration sleep study.

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
 Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto 
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not think the leaks are causing your CA’s it’s more likely the CA’s are caused by your disrupted sleep by the uncomfortable therapy provided by the Philips machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the recommendation Bonjour! 

I now see that both you and SleepRider have the  Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto in your signature!

I'll try to replace the Philips with that Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto unit.

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
in addition to the same algorithms that you are using in the ResMed S9 VPAP S BiPAP (The VAuto has an "S mode") it also has an auto mode.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,831 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,056 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,117 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 253 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 377 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,094 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.