Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Phillips respironics bipap S/T
Phillips respironics bipap S/T
After 11 sleep tests, with 3 different, study doctors, I have been diagnosed, with central apnea. Prescribed a bipap S/T , and can not, will not use it, as the doctor, doesn't respond to questions, not asked while only being Onsite, during a consult. This is not feasible, as I work out of state, and cannot schedule an appointment which matches time at home. I have had this machine, since December, 2016, and can not use. Most all programming, of therapy, is tolerated, except, before I finish my exhalation, the machine initiates, a forced inhale, which is toooooo fast. Could someone please, tell me, what the proper term is for this parameter? Would rather die in my sleep, than feel like hyperventilating, with machine settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Phillips respironics bipap S/T
Hi 65overlander - Welcome

I believe what you're referring to is called the TiMax setting. It can be adjusted in the clinician menu.  You can obtain a clinician's manual to provide instructions on changing the time limit from this link: https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Scroll down to locate your make and model to obtain instructions on getting this manual.

Depending on your exact model, either #SleepyHead (the name is the link) or Encore software will be able to see your sleep results.   This will aid in seeing the time length of your exhales. This will determine the setting you need.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the help, I was so mad, to find out , the owner of the study center, has a lot of bad reviews for being happy to take money, but never responding to patient needs. You folks, are helping me to realize, that it's not just me, and reading your posts help me see it's not in my head. ( technically).
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Respironics BiPAP S/T has a respiration rate setting that times the breaths per minute. I think you have the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP. I would like you to get into the settings and report back what you find for EPAP, IPAP and Resp Rate settings. Here are instructions for getting into the setup menu: https://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one...structions

Just press the control knob and ramp button at the same time, then turn the dial to Setup and press once. This will put you in the Setup Menu and you can scroll through the settings and write them down. What is likely happening is that your Resp Rate is set to high. It should be set at about 3-breaths per minute less than your normal rate of breathing. For example, if you normally take 15 breaths per minute (BPM), then the correct setting is 12 or less.

The best machine for your condition is actually something called an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV). The ASV follows your breathing rate and automatically matches your breathing rate and provides pressure support only when needed, while your ST machine always provides the same inhale and exhale pressure and uses a timer to provide backup breaths. We can help you to learn more about ASV and how to discuss this issue with your doctor. The advise you got earlier about TiMax is a setting you don't have on your machine, so don't worry about that for now. Use the setting instructions above, and let's learn what settings are on your machine, then we can make some changes to hopefully make it better for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2018, 09:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: . . . The advise you got earlier about TiMax is a setting you don't have on your machine . . .

Thanks SR for the information. It is noted and logged.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 201 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,811 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 179 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,149 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 439 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 753 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.