Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Poor cellular reception with AirSense 10 and T-Mobile
RE: Poor cellular reception with AirSense 10 and T-Mobile
Interesting info--that's to those that posted.  I see my DME in a few days and will see if they have trouble in accessing my info.  I would just as soon have them not have access!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2021, 12:43 PM)jlfinkels Wrote: Someone qualified to deal with the CPAP machine should be able to open it and replace the physical SIM with an ATT SIM or reprogram the eSIM if that is what it uses.

This claim is unfounded.

ResMeds use M2M cellular modules. M2M modules may use either SIMs or eSIMs, but they are not compatible with traditional consumer SIM cards.

M2M SIMs are tightly managed and simply not interchangeable like cell phone SIMs are.

M2M provider contracts are complex, and specify type of service, cellular provided, location range. While I don't know the specifics of ResMed's M2M provider details, almost certainly, there is no provision to simply swap one out to change default cellular service.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m guessing that means the unit gets what service is most compatible, and there’s nothing users can do about it
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2021, 01:19 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: This claim is unfounded.

ResMeds use M2M cellular modules. M2M modules may use either SIMs or eSIMs, but they are not compatible with traditional consumer SIM cards.

M2M SIMs are tightly managed and simply not interchangeable like cell phone SIMs are.

M2M provider contracts are complex, and specify type of service, cellular provided, location range. While I don't know the specifics of ResMed's M2M provider details, almost certainly, there is no provision to simply swap one out to change default cellular service.

I thought ResMed was still using the Kore Wireless M2M modules, which if it is what we use at work is an eSIM. Though I could be wrong as I’ve never opened the CPAP machine. At my work we use Kore modules for a number of applications and reprogram the cellular provider (technically swap the provider profile) as needed based on location. Quite possibly that functionality has been disabled or improved on as it’s been a few years since I dealt with it.

Thanks for the correction. Good information!
Simplicity is simple, complexity is complex. Don’t confuse the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is AT&T which only has one bar yet manages to upload the data. I have line-of-sight to the 5G Verizon tower at my house. Am I to assume there is no roaming?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just verified that the data uploaded from my machine to ResMed by using myAir despite having only one bar of reception.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2021, 12:25 AM)jnv11 Wrote: I just verified that the data uploaded from my machine to ResMed by using myAir despite having only one bar of reception.

Excellent. The bars are not an absolute as the range for each is fairly wide. As long as there is enough signal strength to move data 1 bar is plenty for the amount of information being pushed by the machine. Signal strength varies due to a number of things, so as long as it can hold onto the link from machine to ResMed it will upload even if very slowly.
Simplicity is simple, complexity is complex. Don’t confuse the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
jlfinkels
"I thought ResMed was still using the Kore Wireless M2M modules, which if it is what we use at work is an eSIM. Though I could be wrong as I’ve never opened the CPAP machine."

Here's the cell modem board - pics scraped from FCC web site. For more pix and gory details... search fcc id, and put in the FCC id from the machine. 

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I've seen my new Autoset use both AT&T and T-Mobile depending on location. I have terrible cell service in both places but in one there's no T-Mobile at all. It used AT&T then. In the other it used T-Mobile. I never get more than one bar and it takes a bit but it does manage to upload the data. It's transferring a very small amount of data btw; probably just a few kB, at most a couple of MB. You don't need a lot of signal to do that once a day.

I'm in the process of getting a WiFi SD card so I can transfer the data to OSCAR via my home's LAN without having to move the card itself. Unfortunately WiFi SD cards seem to be almost a dead product, the only new one I could find was an adapter branded "ez Share". There's some notes on this forum about setting it up but it requires a fair amount of hackery.

I find it remarkable ResMed ships a cellular data plan in their devices, btw. That's an ongoing monthly cost for them for every machine. I guess they see subscriptions as a big part of their revenue plan; if you just buy the machine and never pay for MyAir and your doctor doesn't pay for AirView it's a loss for them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,051 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 253 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,799 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 876 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,212 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.