Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Portable/battery CPAP machines?
Ohmy 
Portable/battery CPAP machines?
I looked in the equipment section and read the reviews on the two brands I could find there. Both brands sounded sort of meh.

I am curious if there is anything new out there, and if you have traveled with a battery powered CPAP, how did you like it?

I would like to purchase one to go camping. Where we camp does have any electricity.

I don't expect the portable machine to function exactly like my at home machine, but I sure don't want to vacation and feel like hell in the morning using nothing.

I really need my CPAP for sleep, and found that out the hard way this month. (yuck!)

I appreciate any suggestions or responses as my DME guy wasn't much help.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Portable/battery CPAP machines?
A few thougts:

If you pay for a battery advertised as a special, specific CPAP battery, you are paying a lot for somebody to say "special" and/or "specific" and/or "CPAP".

Get a SLA/AGM deep cycle battery, the kind designed for kids battery powered cars or old geezer Wascally Weasle mobility carts. A 35 AH battery weighs about 25 lbs./11 kg and will run my PR 560 Auto without heated humidity for a minimum 4-5 days. You can probably get smaller batteries if you are looking for a shorter run time (1-2 nights) and more portable. Deep cycle LiFePO4 batteries are much lighter and hold promise, but are much more expensivo. Deltran Battery Tender to keep it charged. Laziest way to wire it is with a fused pigtail w/ cigarette lighter plug to the battery, manufacturer supplied car cable. I have better/cheaper connections but they require more work and a little bit of electronics/electrical maintenance confidence. Manufacturer cable mandatory for Resmed units because the management at Resmed is, IMNSOHO, a bunch of money grubbers that have their units set up so that they require, and will work only with their $100 DC power brick.

When operating off battery, avoid using heated humidification. Go passive humidification if you can't live without humidification. Me? I just remove the humidifier from the unit. No big whoop.

Do not, under any circumstances, use an inverter and plug your machine's AC plug into it to run. TERRIBLY inefficient and will use probably 2-3 time, maybe 5 times, more battery power than direct DC battery power. This includes the all in one car jumper/AC power supplies - I've seen folks talk about one from Sears/DieHard.

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply
I have traveled with my regular PAP machine and it hasn't been much of a burden. Especially if going by car, rather than plane. I can't imagine that the portable unit would be much less of a package size with the hose and mask. The battery is the issue. I have the C-100 and it is great for portability. 1lb and one night (regular PAP). If you have 2 of them they pack well together in the tiny carry case and will then give you 2 or 3 nights.

My 35ah deep cycle battery is generally not worth lugging around but is doable if it makes sense. It is doable for camping.

I have not found it desireable to buy the "portable" PAP machine.

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2015, 10:00 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: I have traveled with my regular PAP machine and it hasn't been much of a burden. Especially if going by car, rather than plane. I can't imagine that the portable unit would be much less of a package size with the hose and mask. The battery is the issue. I have the C-100 and it is great for portability. 1lb and one night (regular PAP). If you have 2 of them they pack well together in the tiny carry case and will then give you 2 or 3 nights.

My 35ah deep cycle battery is generally not worth lugging around but is doable if it makes sense. It is doable for camping.

I have not found it desireable to buy the "portable" PAP machine.

How long does your C-100 take to recharge once plugged into an AC source? I need something for our travel trailer for next year--my husband uses the 12 volt plug and inverter to power his ResMed S9. That draws from the trailer batteries. A single smaller battery could work, but where to put it is another problem as using it inside the trailer isn't safe. We have a generator to recharge batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get a 12 volt to 24 volt converter made for your unit for about $70 on Amazon. Yes, everyone is right about not using a 12v to 110v inverter,and plugging your regular power supply into that. Wastes too much juice.

So after you get the 12 to 24v converter for Resmed, then just get one of those automotive type power booster/jump starter things for about $50-75 at Wallyworld. Plug your new converter into your CPAP and the 12v plug into the power booster. Mine is 600 amp and it will run my Resmed autoset without humidifier for two nights.

During the day you can plug it in and recharge it either with 110v or 12v. Some didn't think this rig would have enough juice, but it did just fine for me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
SideSleeper,
The C-100 takes me about 4 hr to recharge after a full nights usage. At different times I have used standard electric power at a nearby pavilion or my RV generator.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
What do you need to use to run for a night WITH the humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
When I go camping I run my PRS1 auto on my trolling motor battery. I use a PR adapter and get t full nights without using the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2015, 06:54 PM)player Wrote: What do you need to use to run for a night WITH the humidifier?

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

Resmed's guide to battery use. Includes S-10 models w/ DC converter, not inverter. AS it should be.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 78 11 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,816 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,437 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.