Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Portable generator to power S9
Portable generator to power S9
Can you use a portable generator to power an S9? I called ResMed technical support and they told me that you could NOT. Not sure if they just wanted to sell me a battery!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Portable generator to power S9
I think you talked to someone who didn't know what they were talking about. There is no reason you can't use a standard emergency generator to power a CPAP unit. I am amazed that anyone would tell you differently.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kinda what I thought.....thx!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Portable generator puts out the very same electricity that the power company does. You might want to just put a surge protector in between to insure that the power supply doesn't get a surge or spike just because you have nothing better to do and they are cheap.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi o2meister,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The RESMED power brick is forgiving of line frequency and a wide range of Voltage.
A poor sine wave or spiking -- not so forgiving.
You want a good generator; and I would still put a power condition in the line.

Caution: These generators need to be located outside away from where you are sleeping.
CO and CO2 danger.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2014, 09:29 AM)o2meister Wrote: Can you use a portable generator to power an S9? I called ResMed technical support and they told me that you could NOT. Not sure if they just wanted to sell me a battery!

Honda makes a very nice line of quiet generators that are good for sensitive electronics.

The EU1000i makes about as much noise as a dishwasher.

I'd avoid any of the cheap generators at places like Sam's Club. They're extremely noisy and poorly regulated.

Post Reply Post Reply
Im sure you can. Where I live we have went without power for up to 7 weeks a couple of winters. I know several around here that ran medical equipment, cpaps etc on generators and even gas and diesel powered arc welders.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2014, 09:29 AM)o2meister Wrote: Can you use a portable generator to power an S9? I called ResMed technical support and they told me that you could NOT. Not sure if they just wanted to sell me a battery!
The short answer is NO you can't, but it depends on the generator. If your generator has permanent magnets instead of field coils, its a good chance it will produce suitable power. However most generators produce a sort of modified sine wave which is not suitable and will cause heat to build up in the power transformer of the PAP machine's power supply.The transformer will burn out. Any device equipped with a power transformer requires a pure sine wave power source. The alternative as you've been advised is to use an accumulator (battery), which is probably best anyway.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Just went camping last weekend and got to use my set up for the first time. A 12 volt dc to 24 volt dc adapter ($80) hooked to my marine trolling motor battery ($100). Used a couple nights and ran my S9 without humidifier no problems. Battery is big and oversized for the job but I already owned it. Eliminates the generator and noise and fumes and all of the above. Does the generator have a dc output? You could use the dc to dc adapter and eliminate the A/C issues.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 231 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,437 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 406 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] White Noise Generator Sleepster 9 650 11-13-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 871 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.