Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Power Requirements
Power Requirements
My PR System One Series 60 says with and 80W power supply it draws 2.0A
Is that with the heated hose and humidifier on high?
If not can anyone give me a feel for how much power it will draw?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Requirements
(04-20-2015, 09:41 AM)mmdupas Wrote: My PR System One Series 60 says with and 80W power supply it draws 2.0A
Thanks

The input (what it gets from the wall outlet) is a maximum of 130W. It's probably less. The output is what your machine gets to use, and should be less than 80W, with the pressure all the way up and the humidifier on high.

The numbers on the power supply are maximums.

With lower pressure and/or humidity it will use less.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Terry. I am planning on using my CPAP in an RV with 600 amp batteries. As long as 2.0 A is a maximum all is well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 10:50 AM)mmdupas Wrote: Thanks Terry. I am planning on using my CPAP in an RV with 600 amp batteries. As long as 2.0 A is a maximum all is well.

Check your RV again. I think that might be the Cold Cranking Ampere (CCA) rating. Look for the Ampere-Hour (A-Hr) rating. That's the theoretical capacity. The true A-Hr ability is about 2/3 of that. The RV probably has deep cycle batteries...

It's best to have a multi-battery RV with the starting battery isolated from those that supply power to the RV. Else, you can end up stranded.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 09:41 AM)mmdupas Wrote: My PR System One Series 60 says with and 80W power supply it draws 2.0A
Thanks

It's more complicated than that.

The 2 A is the AC power drawn by the power brick. (The power supply built into the power cable between the machine and the AC electrical outlet.)

It's also the maximum rating. It's worst case with everything running, and it's also probably only that high for a short time, maybe only a second or two when it turns on.

My PRS1 machine running 16 cmH2O and with the heated humidifier (no heated hose) averages only around 30 W on the AC side, which is around 1/4 amp.

(04-20-2015, 10:50 AM)mmdupas Wrote: Thanks Terry. I am planning on using my CPAP in an RV with 600 amp batteries. As long as 2.0 A is a maximum all is well.

If it says 600 amp on the battery, that's probably the starting current. You need to know the "Amp Hour" rating for the battery. The starting current (cold cranking amps or CCA) is how much power it can put out in a short period of time. The amp hours is the number you need to figure out how long the battery will run your CPAP before the battery dies.

The 2 A number is for hooking up to 120V AC, not a 12V battery. How do you plan to hook your CPAP up to your RV? Does it supply 120V AC while running on battery power, or do you have some sort of DC power inside the RV?

Without the heated humidifier or heated hose, mine draws about 1 amp average for the night. With the heated humidifier, I get about 3 amps average. I don't have a heated hose.

How long do you expect to be without AC power in your RV?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's important is you've confirmed the draw is not much. Thanks for that.

The RV has (2) alternators, an inverter and Lithium batteries rated at 600 Ah.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 03:54 PM)mmdupas Wrote: What's important is you've confirmed the draw is not much. Thanks for that.

Good, sounds like the RV is isolated from the vehicles starting and charging system.

So, you have 120 VAC in the RV's living area? Sounds like you're good to go.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 03:54 PM)mmdupas Wrote: What's important is you've confirmed the draw is not much. Thanks for that.

I don't have good numbers for a PRS1 560 with heated hose, but I'm going to guess at about a 50W average AC power draw. Assuming 50% efficiency of your inverter at a 50W draw, that's about 8 Amps on the battery. That's theoretically 75 hours of usage between charges. Unless you plan on parking for a long time without external power or long drives, you're probably in good shape.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you an angel!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,404 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  trialing masks - pressure requirements, What's happening? Wondering2 14 826 11-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 979 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.