Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Power Solutions Freedom V2 CPAP Battery Kit for ResMed AirSense 10
Power Solutions Freedom V2 CPAP Battery Kit for ResMed AirSense 10
New to forum, new to this backup battery, but long time CPAP patient

After our "Snowmageddon" here in Texas, and that awful feeling of suffocation when the power goes out at 3am and the CPAP stops working, I finally got the approved battery power backup for my ResMed AirSense 10. It arrived too late to prevent several sleepless nights but Spring has sprung and I need to be prepared for tornado weather. So here I am.

Is anyone familiar with using the subject battery backup and might have some pointers? Of most concern is that I fully charged it (to 100%) then disconnected it from the AC outlet, as it uses the ACTUAL CABLE LE AS THE AIRSENSE UNIT ITSELF, but left its connector that goes to the AirSense unit when needed hanging from it, so it wouldn't get misplaced. That cable, however, was not connected to the Battery.

I checked the battery's power status a day or two later and it was at 54%! is it normal for it to discharge when connected to nothing on either end (Input and Output)? that makes me doubt how long it would actually power my CPAP in the event of an overnight power failure.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Power Solutions Freedom V2 CPAP Battery Kit for ResMed AirSense 10
Unless you exposed the battery to extreme heat or cold -- or did not follow the instructions to prepare the battery for first use, this is not normal. I would suggest you contact the seller and request an RMA plus shipping for a credit return or replacement. If you used it as a test -- perhaps it did not recharge due to a faulty charger.

Or you could contact Freedom -- 1-877-445-5228 or via email at info@batterypowersolutions.net.

Are you considering leaving it attached and use it as you would a battery backup? That way it will be fully charged for the first failure.

For storage, Freedom says, "Fully charge the battery before storage. For optimal performance charge and discharge the battery once every 90 days. Store the battery in a dry, cool, and well-ventilated place away from extreme heat (> 104°F) and direct sunlight. Storage temperature range is -4°F to 104°F; however, the optimal range is 60°F to 80°F."

How do you plan to charge the unit during a five-day outage? Generator, solar (assume the Sun is shining), car charging system, or something else?

After trying a Freedom solution (12 - 17 pressure, no humidifier, no heated tub), I got 1-1/2 days so I am partial to the old-fashion heavy-weight deep cycle batteries and ResMEDS DC-DC Converter.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
JThank you for your kind and informative reply.

The Freedom V2 battery seems to be holding a charge now. It is possible it was not fully charged the first time I tested it. Is that the Pre-use prep to which you were referring? It had been charged for well over 12 hours.

If I understand you correctly, to leave the battery daisy-chained with the CPAP machine like any other UPS won’t hurt it.

[AC outlet]—>[Freedom V2]—>[AirSense]

If we were to be forced into multiple days without power, I would necessarily bug out somewhere to charge it. If nothing else, my Jeep has an auxiliary AC outlet so I could charge the battery (and/or run the  CPAP) that way daily.

Of course after an EMP attack or something that permanently plunges is into the preindustrial age, I’m basically screwed anyway! Most of us would be.

Perhaps I misunderstood the instruction manual (it does not appear to have been written by a native English speaking person...Ahem...)  but I thought it said to disconnect the charger from the AirSense machine whenever not using the system.

I had tried the old-fashion heavy-weight deep cycle battery and DC-AC Converter setup with an older CPAP machine a decade ago taking my youngest son camping with Cub Scouts but found it heavy and unwieldy, not to mention dangerous, carrying a lead acid battery around in the cargo area of the SUV.

I’m glad I don’t have to go camping anymore! 30 years in the military was enough for me and at least they paid me to go camping!

Thank you for your insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding is that these battery setups should be installed as a 'UPS' - an uninterruptible power supply. This means that the battery should be plugged into the wall outlet permanently, then the power cable from the battery run out to the machine. In this way, the battery remains fully charged but, should the mains power fail, the battery keeps the machine running. Ideally, a setup like this would provide at least a full night's power so, should the mains power go off early in the night and remain off, you would be unaware of this because the machine keeps running.

When the power comes back on, the battery gets recharged.

A setup whereby you have to run the machine from mains power OR battery seems far less useful, because a mains power failure would wake you up and you would then have to swap over to battery power yourself - and hope that you remembered to keep the battery charged.
Post Reply Post Reply
(1)  While some manufacturers claim that Li-ion batteries do not have to be fully charged before use, I do charge fully because it appears to assist the internal calibration electronics that track charge cycles and battery health. 

(2)  Per page 12 of the user's manual...

The Freedom V2 CPAP Battery can be setup as an uninterrupted battery backup system for your PAP device in the event of a power outage.
When AC power is available it will bypass the lithium-ion cells of the battery and power your device normally. If AC power is lost the battery will recognize this and automatically start powering your PAP device. That is, assuming you have all of the pieces.

Single Battery Connection -- using inverter
• Plug the Freedom V2 power supply into the battery DC-IN port and then into the wall outlet.
• Plug the Mobile Power Receptacle into the battery DC OUT port.
• Plug the Power Inverter into the Mobile Power Receptacle.
• Plug your PAP device power supply/cord into the Power Inverter.

Single Battery Connection -- the direct cable instructions are also in the manual.
• Plug the Output Cable into the battery DC OUT port and then into the power inlet port of your PAP
device.

(3) The newer AGM and GEL cells are less dangerous than the older lead-acid batteries. Mine do not outgas. Sill heavy.

(4)  Store a backup device, solar panel, and wiring in your copper-clad faraday cage and you are good to go after an EMP.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes sir, that’s how it is configured now. I literally left it unplugged just to see if the battery would maintain power by itself. It is doing that now. 

Helpful (I hope) hint for other new users: my battery was delivered 24% charged. It wasn’t until I charged it for 24 hours uninterrupted that it attained and retained 100% power. 

Thank you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,815 6 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.