Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Prescriptions For CPAP Supplies
Prescriptions For CPAP Supplies
I haven't seen the pulmonologist who had my sleep study done and prescribed CPAP in 2010. There was a change in ownership at the hospital and he is not longer there. I have no reason to see another.
That does leave a problem though. My health insurance (U.S.) requires a prescription for supplies or they will not pay for them (cushions, filters, hoses, etc). You must have a script to get a mask (U.S. again) however.
Tomorrow, I see one of my other doctors who I asked to write me one last time (they are good for one year), and I am going to ask him to write me another. The script simple says "CPAP Supplies" on it.
Just wondering, how do you get your prescriptions written?
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Prescriptions For CPAP Supplies
(08-17-2014, 06:48 PM)Airstream Wrote: Tomorrow, I see one of my other doctors who I asked to write me one last time (they are good for one year), and I am going to ask him to write me another. The script simple says "CPAP Supplies" on it.
Just wondering, how do you get your prescriptions written?
I think the script is good for at least 5 years or maybe more
CPAP and related supplies

Supplier #1 list a script sample "Prescription / Letter of Medical Necessity", gives you an idea

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 07:30 PM)zonk Wrote: I think the script is good for at least 5 years or maybe more

Supplier #1 list a script sample "Prescription / Letter of Medical Necessity", gives you an idea
Although it may be ok for authorizing the purchase for five years, my insurance company (a major U.S. company) requires one every year or they will not cover the expense.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any doctor can write it. My GP wrote my last one. It was also for the machine and supplies. I think the supplies part said "CPAP mask and CPAP supplies".

Make a copy of this one so you know how to get it written each year. I didn't and all I have is the medical necessity fax form. But Supplier #2 accepted it at least.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 07:30 PM)zonk Wrote: I think the script is good for at least 5 years or maybe more

I think the longest an Rx is valid in the US is 1 year.
Less for certain DEA scheduled controlled substances.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance companies have their own requirements, which sometimes can be more strict than FDA requirements.

I purchased my S9 AutoSet from Supplier #1 on the Supplier List about 2-3 years ago (without insurance) and they had my initial prescription from 2004 on file and used that - it was probably close to 7 years old at the time. May not be the case with other DMEs but I think most online DMEs will accept any prescription for CPAP, no matter how old it is. Getting insurance companies to accept old CPAP prescriptions might be a bit more of a challenge, however, as they are shelling out insurance monies to pay for the machine and want to make sure that CPAP is still a medical necessity for the patient.

CPAP prescriptions aren't like prescription for controlled substances, where drug abuse can occur with an open-ended prescription. So far, I've not heard of people checking into a rehab clinic for CPAP abuse. Bigwink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance has a chain of command. My PCP must write the prescription and submit it to the medical group he belongs to. the Group must approve it and forward it to the only DME covered (Apria). Then Aprea screws it up, I complain they correct it incorectly, I complain, I eventually complain enough to get what I originaly asked for. Doesn't mater if I see a sleep doctor, pulmanololgist, cardiaologist, or ornithologist, my PCP still writes the prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 01:10 PM)bwexler Wrote: My insurance has a chain of command. My PCP must write the prescription and submit it to the medical group he belongs to. the Group must approve it and forward it to the only DME covered (Apria). Then Aprea screws it up, I complain they correct it incorectly, I complain, I eventually complain enough to get what I originaly asked for. Doesn't mater if I see a sleep doctor, pulmanololgist, cardiaologist, or ornithologist, my PCP still writes the prescription.

There's an acronym for that: FUBAR
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I am aware that a catch 22 can generate FUBAR and an occaisonal SNAFU.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2014, 01:52 PM)bwexler Wrote: Yes. I am aware that a catch 22 can generate FUBAR and an occaisonal SNAFU.

??? I don't speak French.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 146 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,573 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 522 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.