Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Problems with Auto CPAP with OA occurring at start of exhale - DreamStation
RE: Problems with Auto CPAP with OA occurring at start of exhale - DreamStation
SnoringInOregon, the 1,2,3 settings are in the user's menu, under comfort settings. In the clinician's menu there is a setting to choose between A-Flex, C-Flex and Off. A-Flex is the default. I assume "off" means no Flex at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2018, 11:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Dreamstation auto frequently "loiters" near the minimum set pressure and is slow to increase pressure, especially in certain people with poor warning cues for OA. This is a common problem with that particular machine compared to a Resmed Autoset.

(01-24-2018, 01:25 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: The DreamStation isn't as quick to respond, and it likes to stay at the min pressure, so I think it's better to have a min pressure closer to your 90% pressure.

My experience is different. For me the DreamStation isn't as quick to raise pressure as my ResMed S10 Autoset, but the DreamStation isn't as quick to drop the pressure back to the minimum as the ResMed. The net effect is that they are about equally effective in treating my OSA for any given pressure range. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding differences in exhale relief settings, this is an excellent reference with interesting bench tests:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4773618/
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2018, 07:52 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 11:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Dreamstation auto frequently "loiters" near the minimum set pressure and is slow to increase pressure, especially in certain people with poor warning cues for OA.  This is a common problem with that particular machine compared to a Resmed Autoset.

(01-24-2018, 01:25 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: The DreamStation isn't as quick to respond, and it likes to stay at the min pressure, so I think it's better to have a min pressure closer to your 90% pressure.

My experience is different.  For me the DreamStation isn't as quick to raise pressure as my ResMed S10 Autoset, but the DreamStation isn't as quick to drop the pressure back to the minimum as the ResMed.  The net effect is that they are about equally effective in treating my OSA for any given pressure range.  Your mileage may vary.

Regarding differences in exhale relief settings, this is an excellent reference with interesting bench tests:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4773618/

I would think staying at a higher pressure longer would defeat the purpose of having an Auto machine. The point of having an Auto is so you can run at lower pressures most of the time. If the machine is going to remain higher than you might as well raise the minimum pressure.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2018, 08:12 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I would think staying at a higher pressure longer would defeat the purpose of having an Auto machine. The point of having an Auto is so you can run at lower pressures most of the time. If the machine is going to remain higher than you might as well raise the minimum pressure.

It's all relative. Neither manufacturer's algorithms drops straight down to the minimum immediately after a short time without events. Put it this way: if faster were always better, then ResMed's algorithm would change pressures (up and down) even faster than it already does.

What I think does somewhat defeat the point of having an auto is setting the minimum pressure very close to the P95 Smile.
-Amin
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2018, 07:02 PM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 08:12 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I would think staying at a higher pressure longer would defeat the purpose of having an Auto machine. The point of having an Auto is so you can run at lower pressures most of the time. If the machine is going to remain higher than you might as well raise the minimum pressure.

It's all relative.  Neither manufacturer's algorithms drops straight down to the minimum immediately after a short time without events.  Put it this way: if faster were always better, then ResMed's algorithm would change pressures (up and down) even faster than it already does.

What I think does somewhat defeat the point of having an auto is setting the minimum pressure very close to the P95 Smile.

Out of curiosity, what would be your suggestion for choosing a low pressure?
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2018, 08:33 PM)pupcamper Wrote: Out of curiosity, what would be your suggestion for choosing a low pressure?

It depends on the person. Takes some trial and error. But if the min and the max are both very close to the P95, then it's not all that different from CPAP. Not that there is anything wrong with CPAP.
-Amin
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
(01-30-2018, 11:24 PM)SnoringInOregon Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 11:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Flex feature is a problem for some people, and many do better with a setting of 1 or off.

Is there a setting in the clinician menus to turn Flex off? IIRC when I went to change this from user menus my only choices were 1, 2, 3. There was no "off" choice.

You can get a copy of the clinical setup menu using the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of the page.  Get yours free today!  In the Comfort Settings, you can select NONE for Flex.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are other threads on blocking on Exhale, that might help. I can only repeat that increasing min pressure created an air splint, that held my air way open on exhale. From the threads, this seems to have resolved the case for a lot of people.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2018, 07:52 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 11:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Dreamstation auto frequently "loiters" near the minimum set pressure and is slow to increase pressure, especially in certain people with poor warning cues for OA.  This is a common problem with that particular machine compared to a Resmed Autoset.

My experience is different.  For me the DreamStation isn't as quick to raise pressure as my ResMed S10 Autoset, but the DreamStation isn't as quick to drop the pressure back to the minimum as the ResMed.  The net effect is that they are about equally effective in treating my OSA for any given pressure range.  Your mileage may vary.
I only just now saw this reply.  (Note to self: subscribe to threads when I reply to them.)

Your experience/observation has caused me to stop and ponder this.  I have both a DreamStation 500 and ResMed Autoset 10.  I have tried to use similar settings on each (for pressures as well as exhale relief).  ResMed reports that I have lower AHI each night (by half), than when I'm on the DreamStation (but I suspect this may be due to their scoring being slightly different?).  BUT I don't feel well-rested when I use the ResMed.  So I wonder if I need a higher min pressure on the ResMed, than on the DreamStation.  I will delve into some experimentation!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,868 48 minutes ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,721 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 212 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,231 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 561 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.