Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Problems with ResMed Autoset 10
Problems with ResMed Autoset 10
Hello all,

I joined this forum in an effort to help my parents with problems they are having with a new Cpap machine.

My mother is 73 yrs. old and was just diagnosed with sleep apnea.
She has a person coming out to the house to help her with medical care.
She now has a RESMED AIRSENSE AUTOSET 10 that was set up for them by my mom's medical assistant (from hospice I think).

They are having problems getting the machine to work properly so I am trying to educate myself as best I can before I head over there tomorrow to try & sort things out. I have downloaded the user manual (PDF).

My dad has related to me via a phone conversation that: "The machine does not blow air when your mom puts it on, but when she removes it, it blows air."

I do not know what kind of mask she has, or much at all about the machine.

SO - What info do you guys need from me in order to offer advise?

Thanks a bunch, any help would be appreciated!
Mike G.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems with ResMed Autoset 10
First read the owners manual and learn as much as you can from that. That should answer all the basic questions you would have. From what you have said it sounds like it is set up for this. The SmartStart™ function begins your sleep apnea therapy as soon as you breathe into your mask. When you remove your mask, it stops automatically after a few seconds. Here is some more help http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...-cpap.html
https://www.youtube.com/user/ResMedAmericas
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 06:22 PM)Mike G. Wrote: My mother is 73 yrs. old and was just diagnosed with sleep apnea.
She has a person coming out to the house to help her with medical care.
She now has a RESMED AIRSENSE AUTOSET 10 that was set up for them by my mom's medical assistant (from hospice I think).

They are having problems getting the machine to work properly so I am trying to educate myself as best I can before I head over there tomorrow to try & sort things out. I have downloaded the user manual (PDF).

My dad has related to me via a phone conversation that: "The machine does not blow air when your mom puts it on, but when she removes it, it blows air."

Hi Mike G., welcome to Apnea Board!

The Clinician Guide for setting up the machine has much more info than the very basic User Manual. Here is a link to instructions on how to request by email the clinician manual:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-Pressure

You might want to try turning on or off SmartStart, which is supposed to turn on the machine when someone starts breathing into the mask, and automatically turn it off a few seconds after the mask is removed.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

ADDED: By the way, the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her model costs the same but is a more capable machine than the standard AirSense 10 AutoSet model.

Sounds like she has recently received the machine and hasn't used it very long. I recommend calling her Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider and asking that your mother's machine be changed to the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her model. Or, you may need to refuse to keep the machine and tell them you are looking for a DME provider who will supply the A10 AutoSet For Her model. Good luck.

The A10 AutoSet For Her machine has options to use either the standard AutoSet therapy mode (same therapy mode used by the standard A10 AutoSet machine) or can use the new gentler AutoSet For Her therapy mode.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I remember from the Resmed S9 guide, the Smart Start option doesn't work with the full face mask setting.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 06:22 PM)Mike G. Wrote: My dad has related to me via a phone conversation that: "The machine does not blow air when your mom puts it on, but when she removes it, it blows air."
Probably the above is correct with Respironcis "Auto on Auto off"
ResMed "SmartStart" works differently ...
when enabled, the machine start automatically when you breathe into the mask and stop when you remove the mask
SmartStart will not work with nasal pillows mask with set pressure less than 7 cmH20, in this case SmartStart should be disabled and use the start/stop button instead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mike G,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you in helping your Mom get her machine set up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2014, 07:11 PM)sgearhart Wrote: From what I remember from the Resmed S9 guide, the Smart Start option doesn't work with the full face mask setting.
That was the case with earlier S9, like mine
Later S9 and the AirSense 10, SmartStart can be enabled with full face masks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to you all, I will follow the advise given here. I will stay in touch and let you know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the help, using the advice & info you have given me has solved the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2015, 04:07 PM)Mike G. Wrote: Thank you all for the help, using the advice & info you have given me has solved the problem.
Hi Mike G.,
That's great news to hear, that your problem has been solved.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 467 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,240 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.