Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables?
Question 
Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables?
I am a Dreamstation user and eager to do some camping. I went to buy battery equipment for the Dreamstation and I am confused. I see two options:

Option A) On some websites, I see a plain DC-power "cigarette lighter" cable with what looks like some filtering chokes.

Option B) On other websites I see information saying that the Dreamstation needs a proprietary signal from the power supply, and they are selling a cable with what looks like a DC/DC converter and a fan at about 3x the cost of the Option 'A' cable.

It is not an inverter. I specifically checked and the Dreamstation is 12V DC in. Is it some sort of voltage regulator to exactly 12V DC or does it buck the voltage up as the battery discharges?

What gives? I don't want to toast the machine with the wrong cable. Just trying to get 2 nights of use before a recharge.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables?
(05-31-2016, 07:30 PM)NorthernGuy Wrote: Option A) On some websites, I see a plain DC-power "cigarette lighter" cable with what looks like some filtering chokes.

This is the cable I use for my older Philips Respironics System One, which does run on 12 volts DC. There is also another cable with a female cig lighter socket on one end and alligator clips on the other. The two cable are connected in series when you want to run directly off a battery.

I don't know if the same cables work with the newer Dream Station.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DreamStation uses a 3 conductor plug for dc power input. It has an outer barrel (+12V), an inner barrel (common), and a center pin (100k ohm resistor to +12V). The center pin provides the proprietary signal. The plug itself is the same type used on the ResMed A10 except the DreamStation uses a right angle plug.

Option A has the 100k resistor on the center pin and 2 monster-ass ferrite beads. I own one. It is different from the cable for the PR System One which has a different plug.

Option B looks like a non-inverting buck/boost converter that's designed to be fed from a lithium battery pack. As you said, it probably provides a stable 12V as the battery discharges. It probably has the same 100k resistor on the center pin. I don't own one of these, but I did look at the instruction pdf. I think there's a thread on the forum about the battery pack. Could be wrong.

I'm currently using a UPS for standby power on my DreamStation. Haven't gotten around to configuring a battery setup.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the great info and engineering information about the plug. Good to know it is not just a simple connector.

Does anyone have experience with the cigarette lighter type (Option 'A' in my original post) with battery packs. Does the Dreamstation operate OK while the battery is discharging, or does it cut out early as the voltage sags as the battery discharges?

If there are going to be voltage problems with something like SLA batteries and option 'A', I might as well go with option 'B' now.

Any ideas on the efficiency of the "converter" module in the more expensive option 'B'?
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people have been trying to find a DC power cord for the A10 to make their own rather than pay for the ResMed converter.
Do you know if the DreamStation plug fits the A10 or is it a different size?

**CAUTION**
I found that a DC cable for a Dell laptop fits the A10 so that would be a possibility, but **CAUTION** DO NOT use the Dell power supply itself, it provides a different voltage and would probably damage an A10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2016, 06:54 AM)rem52 Wrote: **CAUTION**
I found that a DC cable for a Dell laptop fits the A10 so that would be a possibility, but **CAUTION** DO NOT use the Dell power supply itself, it provides a different voltage and would probably damage an A10.

I also found that the PC power cables are available that will **fit** the 60 series. But I don't consider them appropriate for this use. They appear too lightweight for this application.

The conductors in the wire were VERY small - like 22 or even 24 ga. And the units themselves can use some moderate amperage for a small appliance (up to 3A-5A, and sometimes higher with humidification and tubing turned up). Depending on settings, that would not be appropriate for that small size wire. Even though I think it would run mine in that I use some pretty moderate settings with no heated hose and very low humidifier settings (if at all), I was not comfortable using wires that small. I would much prefer something with a minimum of 18-16 ga. wire, or even maybe bigger, depending on length. So I made my own.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2016, 12:54 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: The DreamStation uses a 3 conductor plug for dc power input. It has an outer barrel (+12V), an inner barrel (common),

Correction: outer barrel (common), an inner barrel (+12V)
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the same pin-out as on the two-conductor power supply for the System One machines that immediately preceded the Dream Station.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2016, 12:54 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: center pin (100k ohm resistor to +12V).
Option A has the 100k resistor on the center pin

Correction: Make that 20K ohm.

(06-01-2016, 12:54 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: Option B looks like a non-inverting buck/boost converter that's designed to be fed from a lithium battery pack. As you said, it probably provides a stable 12V as the battery discharges. It probably has the same 100k resistor on the center pin.

Correction: Make that 24.3K ohm 1%. I bought one of these and took it apart.

Some testing with a power supply and a decade box shows the DS needs to see between 18.9K to 26.2K to power up and run without an error screen. The blower will not start with the wrong resistance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I also am quite annoyed with Respironics and their gouging of patients.

I use a Dreamstation BiPap Auto SV, and need to use it when camping, and
need their proprietary 12v cable (1120746).  The manufacturers cost
of this cable cannot come anywhere near the $50 it costs (best price I found
in Canada).

I would go so far as to suggest a boycott of Philips Respironics, avoid
their products if you can! 

My no load test of the Dreamstation power supply
also indicates voltage differences between the small interior pin, and interior plug cylinder.
But I also noticed very transient variations in the voltage of a given positive pin;
i.e. a split second at say 11.2v DC followed by 12.2v DC   

I noticed messages about possible use of resistors etc.
Has anyone succeeded at a workaround for the Dreamstation 12v DC cable?

Duncan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 9 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,502 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Battery pack for Resmed Airsense 10 Jantoe 15 3,888 12-07-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,218 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.