Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Pulse ox with finger sensor safe for overnight use?
Pulse ox with finger sensor safe for overnight use?
I want to buy a pulse ox that can record overnight, but in the manuals of some I considered such as the CMS-50F, a statement warned against keeping the probe on the finger for longer than two hours. I'd appreciate suggestions for a recording pulse ox that has a probe which can safely be kept on overnight. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse ox with finger sensor safe for overnight use?
I would suspect it is a COA statement (cover our arse). Some moron probably sued them for something he/she should have known better not to do in the first place.

I have the CMS 50D+ and have worn it many nights, all night, for probably 8 - 10hrs. There are others here with the model you mentioned who also wear it all night.

Double check to make sure it is indeed a model that records vs monitors.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Samwrites,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Many DME's will let you use a recording pulse ox machine for one night for free. My doctor ordered a test and I received the unit at no charge for a night. Found out that I was no longer having oxygen desats and that I hated the finger attachment (finger got sore after awhile). See if your DME will do the same with a Dr's script for an overnight oximetry test.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. I tape the sensor on with paper medical tape so it doesn't move around much and create artifacts.
So yah, I wear it all night.
I suspect someone woke up with the thing stuffed up their nose with a rubber hose, so of course...Sue the OEM!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of the way cheap models, like the 50D+, don't work well when taped on. Too much pressure gives bad readings.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Taping trick is to tape only the bottom to the finger bottom - the taping is just to prevent shifting, and it doesn't need a lot and doesn't need wrap around taping. No extra pressure is then exerted on the fingerling.

Second - you probably looked at a non-recording device - recording devices are designed to be left on for extended periods (why else record?) - the CMS0o50E is a pretty standard device for use in recording, but you'd be surprised how few doctors have recording devices - most have the non recording type, since they only use it for a quick look at their office, and given the massive expense setting up a practice costs (most doctors are in hock for at least ten to fifteen years), very few CPs go to the expense of buying a recording fingerling - it costs $80 more than a non recording one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a restless sleeper; when I taped just the bottom of my finger, I ended up pulling the device off in my sleep. Now, I tape the side of the CMS device at an angle and then wrap the tape around my finger (both sides of the oximeter) so that the tape forms an "X." No extra pressure exerted on the device but the device stays secure and I don't get any gaps in readings due to a bad connection.

And I have detected no harm, no harm, no harm, no harm.... from leaving the oximeter on all night. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
No harm. The clothes pin style oximeters might drive you nuts though.

The wristwatch oximeters are much better.
I tape one length of tape and go from base of finger go over the top of the sensor and back down the other side of the finger.
A couple wraps around the base of the finger then holds everything on firmly but gently.

Just need to remember to charge it up first and check the on board time.
Just before you lie down, don't forget to start it recording or you get nothing the next morning. Snap!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine feels more comfortable for overnight use if I put it on my thumb.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,226 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,850 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 231 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [CPAP] Need help with low pulse ox data/CPAP data Dan E 5 405 02-05-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.