Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Purpose of WiFi on Resmed S9 Autoset
RE: Purpose of WiFi on Resmed S9 Autoset
(04-28-2014, 06:26 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 06:19 PM)ImRichard Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 04:42 PM)justMongo Wrote: You could wrap the antenna in tin foil. I believe it works off cellular phone service.

Isn't that for Aliens?

Yes, aliens...... DME people --- Aliens.

LOL.

I've only been here one week and I already love this place.

Thanks

Thanks!
Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
It for my tin foil hat...
[Image: TFH.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2014, 06:26 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 06:19 PM)ImRichard Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 04:42 PM)justMongo Wrote: You could wrap the antenna in tin foil. I believe it works off cellular phone service.

Isn't that for Aliens?

Yes, aliens...... DME people --- Aliens.

Thanks. LOL. I've only been here a week and already I love this place.

Thanks

Thanks!
Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
The wireless modem is only used for reporting compliance data for insurance coverage. With my machine, it was uploaded to a PR server, and the insurance company verified that I was using it for the required time.

The MD is the only person that can determine if it was effective and medically necessary. In my case, I was asked to bring my machine in after abut 90 days of starting PAR therapy for a follow-up. The tech copied the data on the SD memory card and the MD determined that my symptoms had decreased sufficiently to declare that the treatment was medically necessary and effective.

Finally, I seriously doubt that a DME provider would adjust machine settings without direction from an MD. They are not trained to interpret results, nor are they allowed to prescribe treatment(s).

Just my two cents.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is common practice to have the data sent to the DME by the transmitter. Otherwise they would require you removing the SD card and physically bringing it to them so they can check compliance for insurance purposes. I was happy to have this method rather than having to sneaker-net my SD card to them. My DME is 20 miles from where I live. Also, I was still in the compliance period while traveling with my machine. The information was sent to them and I didn't have to worry about it. They have to follow for 3 months for compliance purposes.

I was told they could make changes to the machine remotely as well. But have the impression it wouldn't be without discussion with me and moreso to assist me if I was not able to make the change myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 12:47 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: This is common practice to have the data sent to the DME by the transmitter. Otherwise they would require you removing the SD card and physically bringing it to them so they can check compliance for insurance purposes. I was happy to have this method rather than having to sneaker-net my SD card to them. My DME is 20 miles from where I live. Also, I was still in the compliance period while traveling with my machine. The information was sent to them and I didn't have to worry about it. They have to follow for 3 months for compliance purposes.

Hi -

By compliance do you mean that the patient is actually using the machine or they don't get paid? I'm still uncomfortable with personal health data going without privacy, which is dying a rather rapid death in this country.

Thanks!
Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
Compliance means you have to prove you are using the machine minimum of 4 hours each night for a straight 30 day period. Most insurance companies give a 3 month period to get compliance in. When I began, I thought it was an average of 4 hours/night. Using mine the first week I had one night that was 10 minutes shy of 4 hours and another night 8 minutes shy of 4 hours. All other nights were well over and more than made up for those two nights that were shy by a total of 18 minutes. When the DME called me a week later as a followup to inquire how I was doing with it, they mentioned I was not compliant on two of the nights and that it had to be 30 straight days of compliance. They gave me 3 months to get that 30 straight days.

Once I met my compliance, they billed the insurance company to be paid. If I didn't meet compliance I probably would have had to return the machine or pay for it myself. My insurance company pays 100% for my CPAP equipment. Other insurance companies vary. Mine is 100%

I had my compliance done way before 3 months was up but the transmitter was on for the full 3 months before I had to return it to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 12:34 PM)WSHenry Wrote: The MD is the only person that can determine if it was effective and medically necessary. In my case, I was asked to bring my machine in after abut 90 days of starting PAR therapy for a follow-up. The tech copied the data on the SD memory card and the MD determined that my symptoms had decreased sufficiently to declare that the treatment was medically necessary and effective.
The spooky thing is this: Resmed is trying to get the sleep docs to buy into their "Cloud storage" of the efficacy data gathered by their machines and transmitted by the modem.

And if your doc chooses to go this route? Bye-bye go the days of the doc's office staff telling you to bring the chip in so they can download it. They'll have the data there whenever they choose to look at it, regardless of what you want.

Quote:Finally, I seriously doubt that a DME provider would adjust machine settings without direction from an MD. They are not trained to interpret results, nor are they allowed to prescribe treatment(s).

Just my two cents.
I agree, the DME is not going to change the settings without the doc. But without the modem, the process is this:
  • You visit the doc (and maybe bring the data or chip along). Doc decides a therapy change is needed and faxes it to the DME and tells you that you need to bring the machine back to the DME so they can change the settings. You bring the machine in, and they change the settings. You know the settings have been changed. (And of course, if you are a forum member, you've insisted on being told what the new settings are and you check to verify.)

Where Resmed is heading looks like this:
  • The modem uploads your data (all of it) to the cloud every day at a specific time. At some random point either the DME does a check on compliance of customers OR the techs in the doc's office do a routine check on efficacy data. Unknown to you, your name comes up on the "list" of patients who are flagged as having ISSUES. The DME or the tech informs the doc that the cloud software says you have ISSUES. Doc looks at the data and decides to make a change to your pressure settings and informs the tech or the DME to change the settings to the new script. The message is sent by the modem and the machine changes itself. And no-one ever bothers to tell you that the change in prescription was made.

Now many people may not have any issues with this. But I personally DO have issues. If there's a change to my script, I want to be told about it. I don't want to discover the doc decided to increase my pressure by 2 cm by waking up with severe aerophagia wondering what the heck happened.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2014, 12:47 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: This is common practice to have the data sent to the DME by the transmitter. Otherwise they would require you removing the SD card and physically bringing it to them so they can check compliance for insurance purposes.
Hubby's DME quietly sent him a folder with a brand new SD card in it via the US Mail. Instructions were to pop the old SD card out of the machine, put it into the folder and mail it in. And to put the new SD card into the machine so that NEXT month, he can send it it in (by US Mail) for compliance verification.

Now, I admit that US Mail is not overly "secure", but I'm still more comfortable with the idea of mailing the chip in rather than having the data transmitted via a cell phone network.

But that's just me I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you robysue for the visual... thank god i don't have one of those... i would have a major issue with it..
my new machine came with a data card and a mailer... the dme said that my insurance may request the card.

imrichard thank you for this thread...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 455 11 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 474 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 683 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.