Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Quattro Air FFM
Quattro Air FFM
Well, I recieved my new FFM today, a Resmed Quattro Air. Any special tips on how to use it? Tonight will be my first try with it.

I did play with it a bit, and even though I thought I had gotten a good seal, it showed a fairly high leak rate (to me anyhow) at 4L/m...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quattro Air FFM
Mirage Quattro Air review http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...uattro-Air
User Guide http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf
Fitting videos http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...GvRJS_5N3U

From Supplier #1
Fitting: ResMed recommends the following steps for fitting the Quattro Air.
* Remove the elbow by depressing the side buttons on the elbow
* Attach the headgear to the upper headgear hooks at the forehead support.
* Make a loop for each side of the lower headgear strap by attaching the Velcro closure to the strap.
* Place the Flex-wing forehead support on the forehead, swing the headgear over the back of the head.
* Adjust the upper headgear straps enough to hold the mask in place.
* Hook the lower headgear straps over the lower headgear hooks located at the bottom sides of the frame.
* Loosely adjust the tension at the lower and upper headgear straps.
* Reattach the elbow to the mask and attach the long hose from the machine to the elbow.
* Lay down, and with the air from the machine flowing, fine tune the strap tension adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk, I did go through the above info - was just wondering if any other users had any thoughts/tips/etc that I may not be aware of or thought of.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, last night was my first try with this new mask. It was quite hard for me to get a good seal. I do know that while less is usually more, I had to really tighten the straps to get a good seal. This AM the mask started waking me with leaks and noise. Compared to the original 'Quattro' I used in the past, I am not yet sure if this mask is an improvement due to the struggle against leaks.

My numbers for last night:
Leak 0.50L/s
AHI 4.4
AI 0.6

So while the Leak rate was in my average range (for me), my AHI and AI were much lower than recently seen.

I guess I wonder if I should stop stressing on the leak rate (what started all this), and just focus on the other numbers? I do understand that a bad leak rate can mess up other numbers, but can the leak rate make numbers *lower* than they really are? Or just higher?

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2013, 11:45 AM)Peter_C Wrote: It was quite hard for me to get a good seal. I do know that while less is usually more, I had to really tighten the straps to get a good seal. This AM the mask started waking me with leaks and noise. Compared to the original 'Quattro' I used in the past, I am not yet sure if this mask is an improvement due to the struggle against leaks.

Hi Peter,

With my FFM I use a RemZzz mask liner, to lower leaks or at least stop leaks from being bothersome. Really helps. After a few days the liner stretches and needs to be replaced. Haven't yet tried washing the liner to see how well that would work to renew the liners.

Leaks, especially if highly variable (jumping around larger and smaller) or if large like 30 or 60, can prevent proper treatment and raise number and severity of events, and can cause under-reporting of events.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, after 2 nights, and two naps, this mask will have to go back. I simply can't get the leaks under control, whether tight or loose straps. I do not really want to go to mask liners if I can help it, and the regular 'Quattro' is stable enough for bad days.

However, I am simply in LOVE with the new WISP! So light, comfy, and simply like it's not there. I've never had a comfy mask without forehead support until now. Took no getting used to, straps are loose, and it just does not leak, period.

Am thinking of trying a chin strap, but am just not sure if I am opening my jaw, or just breathing through my teeth.

I also raised both my EPAP and PS 1 (each), and my O2 was only under 88 for 1.2 minutes total last night (4 events), min was 81 for 11 seconds.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 07:05 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Sadly, after 2 nights, and two naps, this mask will have to go back. I simply can't get the leaks under control, whether tight or loose straps. I do not really want to go to mask liners if I can help it, and the regular 'Quattro' is stable enough for bad days.

However, I am simply in LOVE with the new WISP! So light, comfy, and simply like it's not there. I've never had a comfy mask without forehead support until now. Took no getting used to, straps are loose, and it just does not leak, period.

Am thinking of trying a chin strap, but am just not sure if I am opening my jaw, or just breathing through my teeth.

I also raised both my EPAP and PS 1 (each), and my O2 was only under 88 for 1.2 minutes total last night (4 events), min was 81 for 11 seconds.

one thing I learned about the leaks, and I don't know if this is what is causing yours, is that the machine should be off when putting on the mask and turned off before taking off the mask. If you don't do this, it should only affect the maximum leak number though. At least this is what I have been told. You could try this and see if it improves before you return it. Just a suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh - it's not the leak number - it's the AIR hissing out of the mask from all around it on my face. Noise, new leaks with every move, the whole bit.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 07:05 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Sadly, after 2 nights, and two naps, this mask will have to go back. I simply can't get the leaks under control, whether tight or loose straps. I do not really want to go to mask liners if I can help it, and the regular 'Quattro' is stable enough for bad days.

I'd encourage you to give one a shot if you haven't already. They really helped with the air leaking out onto my face. I take it you are only using a full face mask occasionally?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 11:25 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Oh - it's not the leak number - it's the AIR hissing out of the mask from all around it on my face. Noise, new leaks with every move, the whole bit.

Peter, what size are you using? I found the medium leaked badly but the small is fine. I have an average size head (though She Who Must be Obeyed would beg to differ) so I was surprised that the small mask was much more successful than the medium.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 361 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 477 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  RIP Quattro FX dave1013 5 710 08-16-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dave1013
  Mirage Quattro Headgear GidgeMo 0 544 11-14-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: GidgeMo
  Mirage Quattro Sizes tulip0852 5 925 10-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Full Face Mask - Resmed Mirage Quattro vs F20 struts 5 6,457 07-31-2020, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Quick question - Quattro Air v F20 DeepBreathing 2 986 01-11-2020, 03:12 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.